Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Front speaker pods on newer JK's

Old 03-07-2017, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front speaker pods on newer JK's

So I have a 2014 JKUR and it came stock with the little vertical standing tweeters in the dash board. Then my friend bought a 2016 and I noticed that they went to a flush mount. My speakers are mounted to a piece that seems to be separate from the entire dash. (Thin piece of trim that runs the length of the windshield) I'm wondering if anybody has tried to swap their vertical speakers for the flush mount. Keeping everything with one parts. Let me know.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:56 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

I can't help with the original question, but those little tweeters are referred to as "tombstone" speakers in our <'15 models. They changed in '15 and I couldn't agree more, the new design is much better.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by topher525
So I have a 2014 JKUR and it came stock with the little vertical standing tweeters in the dash board. Then my friend bought a 2016 and I noticed that they went to a flush mount. My speakers are mounted to a piece that seems to be separate from the entire dash. (Thin piece of trim that runs the length of the windshield) I'm wondering if anybody has tried to swap their vertical speakers for the flush mount. Keeping everything with one parts. Let me know.
I hate to revive an old topic, but I agree with the OP. Has anyone removed and replaced their tombstones?
Old 07-17-2017, 03:23 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by japatton@icloud.com
I hate to revive an old topic, but I agree with the OP. Has anyone removed and replaced their tombstones?
Outside of trying to replace the entire dash with a newer model's, think you'd be looking at a chop up/custom job. Probably a lot of effort for nothing but a cosmetic gain that may or may not look like crap if it's a hack job. The main thing I don't like about those Tombstones is just it's hard to clean behind them and stick my registration sticker on. I can't recall someone successfully doing this, but still subscribed to see.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

I agree. Every time I try to clean the dust and dirt that collects back there, I smudge up the windshield. My fat fingers don't fit behind there!!

Quick Reply: Front speaker pods on newer JK's