Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Front Wheel Hub / Axle Spindle Rusted Stuck

Old 07-31-2017, 01:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Wheel Hub / Axle Spindle Rusted Stuck

Hey Folks,

I recently inherited a 2007 2-door X (158k miles) that I've been going through to refresh and make as safe as I can afford (very minimal budget). I just replaced the clutch and have been going through the brakes. I noticed something that looks pretty bad and I'd appreciate any opinions or advice you guys might have.

I looks like there was a fair bit of gnarly rust around the knuckle, etc (thanks Connecticut winters and your new BS liquid salt). I was able to grind away and rust convert most of the issues. But the spindle nut and outer axle shaft spindle look REALLY rough. My guy feeling is that this isn't a safe driving condition.

Photos here: Click image for larger version

Name:	rust-bucket1.jpg
Views:	3828
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	673769 Click image for larger version

Name:	rust-bucket2.jpg
Views:	1261
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	673770

My questions are:

1) Is this un-safe to drive in this state for a few months (i.e. is my wheel going to fall off)?

2) Does it look to you like it's not worth trying to get that spindle nut off? The ends of the axle spindle look so rusted and deformed that I doubt it is reusable.

2) Can I merely un-bolt the three wheel hub bolts on the knuckle, and pull the entire wheel hub plus axle-shaft assembly out?

As far as I can tell I can get a USA Standard Axle Shaft Set (both sides in front) + two MOOG Wheel Hubs for ~$580 shipped. However I really don't have that and if I can push that a few months that would be ideal.

Thanks for your advice.
-Erik
Old 08-01-2017, 06:23 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

I can't speak to the safety aspect of that, but that looks like it would be a real b_tch to get off. I can't imagine it's just gonna fall off on you as you're driving along, but I'd hate to have to do a trail repair on that!

Since budget appears to be a concern, I would clean that up best I could, hit it with some sort of penetrating oil like a Fluid Film, and let it set. If you can remove the nut, I’d then pull the axle shafts, separate them, replace the u-joint and the outer portions….that will give you new threads and get new axle nuts. If you just can’t get that bolt off, yes you can remove the 3 bearing bolts and pull the entire axle shaft and bearing out together (I'd bet those bearing bolts are rusted in there pretty good too). At that point maybe you could take the assembly to some shop that might be able to help remove the nut with heat or some other fashion. It seems that absolute worst case you’d still be able to separate the axle shaft and salvage the inner portion while replacing the bearing and outer portion…..but maybe it is easier to just buy all new shafts….I have not done that price comparison vs. buying new u-joints and the outters.

Curious to see if others have an opinion or suggestion.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:46 AM
JK Newbie

Good point. I was thinking about it more over coffee this morning, and it seems to me that the only way it might be a safety issue is if the inside of the bearing rusts out and the wheel hub fall apart -- since it is still securely bolted to the knuckle. I'll have to investigate and price out the outside half shafts -- that could easily save a few hundred bucks right there.

Originally Posted by resharp001
I can't speak to the safety aspect of that, but that looks like it would be a real b_tch to get off. I can't imagine it's just gonna fall off on you as you're driving along, but I'd hate to have to do a trail repair on that!

Since budget appears to be a concern, I would clean that up best I could, hit it with some sort of penetrating oil like a Fluid Film, and let it set. If you can remove the nut, I’d then pull the axle shafts, separate them, replace the u-joint and the outer portions….that will give you new threads and get new axle nuts. If you just can’t get that bolt off, yes you can remove the 3 bearing bolts and pull the entire axle shaft and bearing out together (I'd bet those bearing bolts are rusted in there pretty good too). At that point maybe you could take the assembly to some shop that might be able to help remove the nut with heat or some other fashion. It seems that absolute worst case you’d still be able to separate the axle shaft and salvage the inner portion while replacing the bearing and outer portion…..but maybe it is easier to just buy all new shafts….I have not done that price comparison vs. buying new u-joints and the outters.

Curious to see if others have an opinion or suggestion.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:49 AM
JK Newbie

Took a better picture this morning. I had cleaned it with a wire brush the other day and sprayed some VHT Rust Converter on it.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6695.JPG
Views:	955
Size:	3.89 MB
ID:	673813
Old 08-01-2017, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I don't see any safety issues as the nut isn't necessary. The hub holds your wheel in place.

You appear to be on the right track of just limp it along until you can afford new parts. It could be worth checking around for a set of take-off shafts from where someone has upgraded. Joining a jeep club in your area could reveal a set.

With that said, I'd start soaking the hub bolts (front and rear side) weekly until you replace them. Your new hubs will come with the wheel speed sensor so you won't have to worry about saving those but you may end up having to buy new nuts for the stub shaft as they're not usually included.

158k miles is just getting started on this vehicle, they can last a long time with care.

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Hub / Axle Spindle Rusted Stuck