Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gas smell while off roading

Old 08-01-2010, 12:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas smell while off roading

Seems like the last few times I went four wheeling I can smell gas really strong. I dont see anywhere where it is leaking, but the smell is very overwhelming.

Anyone else experience this? Any fix?

Thanks
Old 08-01-2010, 12:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stop eating at Taco Bell.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes. Strongest from the back near the tail gate/muffler area. Dealer said they did a pressure test and could not find it. I have not been able to find any leaks and I don't get any idiot lights such as the gas cap warning. I originally thought it might be related to the evap canister, but doesn't seem to be.

I can't pin point exactly the circumstances it happens in but there are two things that seem to be in common for the three times I have smelled the fumes.

1. Already have been on the trail for for 3 or so hours with most of it in 4 lo rocky or rough wash type terrain. So the gas tank is getting shaken up pretty good.
2. Usually only smell the fumes when I am near a 1/4 tank or less. I usually start out with a full tank.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by spleify
Seems like the last few times I went four wheeling I can smell gas really strong. I dont see anywhere where it is leaking, but the smell is very overwhelming.

Anyone else experience this? Any fix?

Thanks
were you following a carbureted anything?
Old 08-01-2010, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Youri
You're not the only one to experience it.

Here is a thread where this was discussed.

Don't think anyone ever figured out what it was.
That thread appears to be discussing something different then gas fumes. My smell is definitely gas fumes.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by azxr
Yes. Strongest from the back near the tail gate/muffler area. Dealer said they did a pressure test and could not find it. I have not been able to find any leaks and I don't get any idiot lights such as the gas cap warning. I originally thought it might be related to the evap canister, but doesn't seem to be.

I can't pin point exactly the circumstances it happens in but there are two things that seem to be in common for the three times I have smelled the fumes.

1. Already have been on the trail for for 3 or so hours with most of it in 4 lo rocky or rough wash type terrain. So the gas tank is getting shaken up pretty good.
2. Usually only smell the fumes when I am near a 1/4 tank or less. I usually start out with a full tank.

It also does it when you leave it sitting for a couple weeks... I took mine to the dealership several times for it... they say nothings wrong... so I just climb on in and light a cigarette up.. if I live through the explosion, the rubicon will officially be named "the ben" cause ill be taking that part of line up from mopar in the settlement.
The following users liked this post:
Nanu-Nanu (09-13-2021)
Old 08-01-2010, 03:23 PM
JK Freak

Nope to Taco Bell for me

Happens when it is full, half full, quarter full. It is only when I am on rough terrain and when the vehicle is getting shakin pretty well. It definitely gas fumes from my vehicle, and it is very obvious. Seems most strong when you are out side the vehicle on the drivers side rear.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:25 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope to Taco Bell for me

Happens when it is full, half full, quarter full. It is only when I am on rough terrain and when the vehicle is getting shakin pretty well. It definitely gas fumes from my vehicle, and it is very obvious. Seems most strong when you are out side the vehicle on the drivers side rear.
I would check your evap can for a crack , loose hose, fitting, etc.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nope to Taco Bell for me

So we have the rough terrain shaking in common.

I might have to check my evap can closer; they may not have tested it. Perhaps the evap can is capturing all of those fumes and when it releases there may be a leak in one of the hoses or some part of it.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or maybe with all the shaking, rough roads, etc, the evap is getting a little liquid fuel in it?

Quick Reply: Gas smell while off roading