Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Gas Tank

Old 09-14-2017, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Tank

I have an '11 JKR and the manual says it has an 18 gal. tank. I have run it down to E a few times, not on purpose usually, but I have only got it to hold 14.7 gals. tops. I did it again today and ran it down on E for quite some time, actually until I got real scared I would run out, and it held the max 14.7 gals., so does this thing have an 18 gal. tank or not?? I would really like to know without running out someplace, any help will be appreciated. Thanks Guys
Old 09-14-2017, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

It might be some combination of the tank not being totally empty and the auto fill on the gas pump triggering prematurely.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by spmitchell86
It might be some combination of the tank not being totally empty and the auto fill on the gas pump triggering prematurely.
Weather or not the tank is really empty(or real close) is what I'm trying to determine, with it only taking 14.7 gals. do I have another 3 or 4 gals. or not, that is the question.
I've squeezed as much gas in it as possible, to where it squirted out the filler, so I don't think so but thanks for the reply.

Last edited by paintm4u; 09-14-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

My 2012 has a 23 gallon tank. I have tracked every single fill up over the 93,000 miles since new. I always go around 20 mikes or so after the light comes on. This typically takes about 19 gallons to fill. Only less than 10 times has it ever taken more than 20 gallons. I think the most was around 21. So, still having several gallons after you think it is empty is kinda normal.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:29 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

You're 2dr has an 18 gallon tank....just like all the other ones....assuming you haven't completely caved the so-called gas skid up and in to the tank itself. I have a 4dr with 22 gallon tank....Rob says 23...maybe it's 22.5g, idk. Anyhow, I've run it way down before....not intentionally. I've noticed my gas light comes on at ~5 gallons left. It seems to hit "E" with about 3-4 gallons left. I've driven to below "E" to the point that I was extremely worried getting to a gas station (coasting down mountain in neutral), only to fill up and see I had about 1.5 or more gallons left in it. Again....NOT intentionally. Those are based on what I know the tank is, and filling it up till it's full as can be. I think in general the manufacturers try to protect you from yourself. It's obviously not good to run your tank down so low, so they trick you in to thinking you really need fuel before you're to the point that your scraping the bottom. I would put $5 on the fact that you have more gas left in the tank than you think you do, and have no doubt it would really hold 18 gallons if bone dry.

Fill her up and hit the interstate.....driving till the engine dies. LOL. I bet you'd get 18 gallons in it then

I think I'd be frustrated with an 18 gallon tank on one of these things. I already feel like have to get gas all the time with my larger tank. Gawd forbid do road trip somewhere with one of you 2dr guys.....cuz stopping all the time.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
You're 2dr has an 18 gallon tank....just like all the other ones....assuming you haven't completely caved the so-called gas skid up and in to the tank itself. I have a 4dr with 22 gallon tank....Rob says 23...maybe it's 22.5g, idk. Anyhow, I've run it way down before....not intentionally. I've noticed my gas light comes on at ~5 gallons left. It seems to hit "E" with about 3-4 gallons left. I've driven to below "E" to the point that I was extremely worried getting to a gas station (coasting down mountain in neutral), only to fill up and see I had about 1.5 or more gallons left in it. Again....NOT intentionally. Those are based on what I know the tank is, and filling it up till it's full as can be. I think in general the manufacturers try to protect you from yourself. It's obviously not good to run your tank down so low, so they trick you in to thinking you really need fuel before you're to the point that your scraping the bottom. I would put $5 on the fact that you have more gas left in the tank than you think you do, and have no doubt it would really hold 18 gallons if bone dry.

Fill her up and hit the interstate.....driving till the engine dies. LOL. I bet you'd get 18 gallons in it then

I think I'd be frustrated with an 18 gallon tank on one of these things. I already feel like have to get gas all the time with my larger tank. Gawd forbid do road trip somewhere with one of you 2dr guys.....cuz stopping all the time.
Thanks for the input I think you are right. I have taken my JKR to Colorado, about 650 miles, and I too feel like I have to get gas very often. I can get about 200 miles on a tank, usually 14 gals., sometimes a little less when I pull my teardrop trailer. I went 225 miles this last time and I think this will be my max distance. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:50 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

The thing that frustrates me the most is once that gas light goes on, the "miles to go" function just starts displaying "low fuel". Like, great...helpful. I realize that is probably a liability issue or something, but I had an '06 Commander that counted down all the way to zero. I get why the manufacturers have to trick us.....and although we know they're doing it, and they know we know they're doing it , the whole thing is just frustrating.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:10 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

I've driven to below "E" to the point that I was extremely worried getting to a gas station (coasting down mountain in neutral), only to fill up and see I had about 1.5 or more gallons left in it.
If your JK is like mine, it will burn no fuel if you keep it in gear while going down the mountain. When the wheels over-run the engine with my foot off the pedal, the injectors are turned off.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:21 AM
JK Newbie

The thing that frustrates me the most is once that gas light goes on, the "miles to go" function just starts displaying "low fuel". Like, great...helpful. I realize that is probably a liability issue or something, but I had an '06 Commander that counted down all the way to zero. I get why the manufacturers have to trick us.....and although we know they're doing it, and they know we know they're doing it , the whole thing is just frustrating.
I noticed this a while ago and thought I was doing something wrong with the function buttons. Other vehicles I own have the "miles to empty" function count down to 0.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Two things,

You can pull the fuel line when it gets to E and get all the fuel out to see how much you have left (I have had to put a tad more than 16 gallons into my 2-door once, I'm sure it is 18 gallons)

My truck counts miles to go fairly accurately until it gets to around 1/4 tank then it becomes 'governmentally friendly'. I've verified the fuel tank size and filling it up from different tank levels. Seems they are just trying to keep people from running out.

Quick Reply: Gas Tank