Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Gas Tank

Old 09-19-2017, 10:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think most vehicles are this way TBH. Still, I figure a gallon for sloshing around that might not be drained away completely (depending on grade) when you can no longer draw fuel reliably.

Originally Posted by paintm4u
Weather or not the tank is really empty(or real close) is what I'm trying to determine, with it only taking 14.7 gals. do I have another 3 or 4 gals. or not, that is the question.
I've squeezed as much gas in it as possible, to where it squirted out the filler, so I don't think so but thanks for the reply.
Not wise to saturate the vapor recovery system. Besides, you can tell the people who are always topping off their tanks by the fact that the fuel pumps shut off too early on them and they constantly have to squeeze more in. (Granted, sometimes there's a fault in the pump, not the vehicle.)
Old 09-19-2017, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you posted about this "empty" tank issue. I have a 2011 2 door. When I get the low fuel light, I click on the "miles to go" reading which shows about 60 miles to go. Then I get all the way down to ZERO before pulling over to refuel. Guess what? I can only put in 15.5 gallons. That tells me that I still had another 2 1/2 gallons left in the 18 gallon tank. This, of course, is on flat Florida terrain. I suspect Chrysler sets it up this way so we don't start sucking air into the internal fuel pump and burn it out. Intern fuel tank pumps require liquid fuel to keep them cooled down. Having done this several times, I just pull over for fuel when the miles to go hits Zero.
Hope this helped your query.

Last edited by Jobber Jim; 09-19-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jobber Jim
Glad you posted about this "empty" tank issue. I have a 2011 2 door. When I get the low fuel light, I click on the "miles to go" reading which shows about 60 miles to go. Then I get all the way down to ZERO before pulling over to refuel. Guess what? I can only put in 15.5 gallons. That tells me that I still had another 2 1/2 gallons left in the 18 gallon tank. This, of course, is on flat Florida terrain. I suspect Chrysler sets it up this way so we don't start sucking air into the internal fuel pump and burn it out. Intern fuel tank pumps require liquid fuel to keep them cooled down. Having done this several times, I just pull over for fuel when the miles to go hits Zero.
Thanks for the reply. You got more in the tank than I ever have at 15.5 gals. My Low Fuel indicator doesn't go down to zero it shows Low Fuel after about the 36 miles to go mark. I'll just keep filling up at the "E" mark and not worry about it. I do carry 2-5 gal. jerry cans on the back rack but I only put gas in them when I'm in the back country in Colorado or Montana camping and fishing. I tend to stay out there for several days when the fish are biting and I find a good camping spot. I've had to use them a few times and helped out another Jeeper a couple of times that underestimated his mileage up in the mountains. They've sure come in handy.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:41 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the replies guys.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:54 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by Jobber Jim
They must have updated this in the electronics along the way. My Commander that counted to zero was an '06. Looks like you're '11 still does it. My '13 converts to just "low fuel" with a lot of miles left to go.

Even counting down to zero.....they have to save you from yourself. LOL. I understand that at least.....but it's still helpful to see it count down from 40 miles to zero rather than just getting "low fuel" for the last 35+ miles. I have a motorhome on a Ford chasis that does this same thing. It gets a little tense rolling down a highway getting 6 mpg while the dash shows you nothing buy "low fuel" and you're trying to figure out not only where the next gas station is, but if the pumps are arranged in a manner in which you can actually get in and fuel up. LOL.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

My 2012 jku also goes to "low fuel". I guess 2012 is when they made the change.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
My 2012 jku also goes to "low fuel". I guess 2012 is when they made the change.
No my 11 JKR 2 door shows "low fuel" after about 35 miles to empty.

Quick Reply: Gas Tank