Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Gear Shift Vibration In 3rd and 4th Gear

Old 01-13-2011, 05:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Shift Vibration In 3rd and 4th Gear

I have searched around and have not found anyone else who may have this issue. I have a 2011 4 door 6 speed with 800 miles on it and I am getting a slight vibration in the shifter in mostly 3rd gear and some in 4th gear. The vibration starts at around 2000 rpm's and I notice it all the way to around 2500 rpm's which is where I usually shift. The noise is a low vibration / grinding noise and the gear shift vibrates when this happens but it's not a lot of viabration, I can see the gear shifter wiggling though. It's noticable to me because I know it's there but my Wife only hears it when the radio is turned off. It does it in no other gear but 3rd and 4th and I was wondering if it only does this in those gears since they are directly up and down from the center point of neutral. I guess what I mean is if you go to neutral and let the shifter go, 3rd gear is directly up and 4th is down. I plan to take it to the dealer but just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this before I go. Thanks
Old 01-13-2011, 06:01 AM
JK Newbie

I have the same thing, fast rattle on the knob when in 3rd gear only. I remember reading some other posts that said it was the see-through plastic cover on the shift knob, I forget what the solution was though. Doesn't really bother me, but I think banging on/removing and re-installing the knob was supposed to fix it.

good luck,
malloc
Old 01-13-2011, 01:50 PM
JK Newbie

What I am experiencing is not the shift knob, this is coming from down in the transmission itself. This is like a low pitch vibrating or humming noise coming from the tranny.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:07 PM
JK Newbie

Are you sure this is not a driveline issue?
Old 01-13-2011, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

At this point, I'm not sure of anything. I am as new to Jeep's as this Jeep is as new to me. I guess anything is possible but I just think its starnge that I only get it in 3rd gear and slightly in 4th. All of the other gears are fine.

Originally Posted by jenly8
Are you sure this is not a driveline issue?
Old 06-02-2011, 01:16 PM
JK Super Freak

I have the same issue with mine after only 200 miles. I took it to the dealer and the tech said its working fine. Took another manual Jeep for a drive and it does not do it so it is not normal. It has been getting worse so I plan on taking it back in soon and having the manger involved or the regional Jeep rep till I get some action. Too new of a jeep to have tranny problems.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by v8zracer260z
I have the same issue with mine after only 200 miles. I took it to the dealer and the tech said its working fine. Took another manual Jeep for a drive and it does not do it so it is not normal. It has been getting worse so I plan on taking it back in soon and having the manger involved or the regional Jeep rep till I get some action. Too new of a jeep to have tranny problems.
Try another dealer... Most service mangers won't admit they missed it or that's there is even a problem. They're service managers not mechanics they don't know much about vehicles other than what they're told....
Old 06-13-2011, 05:38 PM
JK Newbie

I think I have the same problem. The noise is kind of low pitch, and modulates when you hold and move the stick a bit. To me, it sounds like grinding coffee with these old style manual coffee grinders... I have around 3000 miles and the noise seems to have diminished a bit from the first couple of months. Did not raised the issue with the dealer yet as I cannot say if this is normal. I have other noises that I have to take care of first (squeaky shocks in the back, and vibration on the passenger b pillar)

Let us now about any progress on your side.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have the same thing in 3rd gear, too.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Rattle

Originally Posted by BearInTheWoods
I have searched around and have not found anyone else who may have this issue. I have a 2011 4 door 6 speed with 800 miles on it and I am getting a slight vibration in the shifter in mostly 3rd gear and some in 4th gear. The vibration starts at around 2000 rpm's and I notice it all the way to around 2500 rpm's which is where I usually shift. The noise is a low vibration / grinding noise and the gear shift vibrates when this happens but it's not a lot of viabration, I can see the gear shifter wiggling though. It's noticable to me because I know it's there but my Wife only hears it when the radio is turned off. It does it in no other gear but 3rd and 4th and I was wondering if it only does this in those gears since they are directly up and down from the center point of neutral. I guess what I mean is if you go to neutral and let the shifter go, 3rd gear is directly up and 4th is down. I plan to take it to the dealer but just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this before I go. Thanks
Make sure your clutch master cylinder line is not toucing the firewall where it goes down.

Quick Reply: Gear Shift Vibration In 3rd and 4th Gear