Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Maiden Voyage = Towed to Camp

Old 07-20-2008, 02:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maiden Voyage = Towed to Camp

Trailered the jeep to the mountains for it's first camping trip (with the wife and kids). It's an '08 rubicon with 1K miles. All was fine until it just quit running. Tried to restart and nothing (it acted like a dead battery). Tried again and this time it barely cranked. Checked the battery connections and tried it again. This time it started and the oil pressure light came on and it sounded like a diesel engine. I assumed no oil was getting to the top of the engine, so I shut it off. Checked the oil and it was good. Started two more times (very short runs and it was still knocking). I had it towed back to our camp and now it sits.

I won't be able to get it to a dealer for a little while and wanted to see if anyone else has had a simillar issues or might speculate as to the problem? I'm thinking oil pump, but I'm not sure if a computer problem/glitch could cause this.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:43 PM
JK Newbie

Sounds like you are going to get a new motor...
Old 07-20-2008, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

If in fact it is the oil pump, I can't help but think damage to the engine occurred. It sounded bad. Just not sure if that's the it or not. I really don't want a new engine, unless this ones cooked.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Since it just died, sounds electrical. I bet its the computer, the computer controls the injectors and everything else.
I bet it won't need a new engine.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:20 PM
JK Newbie

I hope you are right. It just seemed weird how it just died, without prior warning lights, etc. Thanks for the optimism.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

hopefully is just computer glitch, when i first got mine had some crazy computer stuff happen at first was very fustrating, but got back to dealer, they looked at it said it was a ground, not tight in main harness......nope...but they got it fixed was computer flash issue....caused all sorts of problems...... those darn computers, control alot of stuff it is amazing what a bad program or a sensor will do nowadays

good luck hopefully will be an easy fix....
Old 07-20-2008, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

mine did that once, i disconnected the battery and restarted.....all was fine after that.

-shaun h

Quick Reply: Maiden Voyage = Towed to Camp