Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Getting into 4wd?

Old 10-06-2010, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2-3 mph is for 4 low you can go in & out of 4 hi @ or below 50mph. At least in my Rubi you can.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:03 PM
JK Freak

It happens, better to ask then to not and break something
Old 10-06-2010, 03:05 PM
JK Newbie

Default 4 wheel drive

You should rethink owning a Jeep. It is one of the easy thinks done. You may have to get your wife or girl friend to help you.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Facter
You should rethink owning a Jeep. It is one of the easy thinks done. You may have to get your wife or girl friend to help you.
Feeling bigger now?
Old 10-06-2010, 09:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeNath
Okay so I just got my Jeep and I was messing around with it today and I cannot for the life of me get the darn thing in 4wd (either of them). I have it in Park, anything else I need to do?

Dumbest question on this forum probably, go ahead quote me lol.
THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS ON THIS FORUM. Thats why this forum exists- the free exchange of knowledge.....sometimes guys get to feeling comfy on this site and have a tendency to BS a little, but no real malice is intended. Thanks for asking- we've all been there OR WILL BE. When shifting into 4LO, have your JK moving at a SLIGHT roll ( foot off the gas ), pull the shifter somewhat briskly straight down into the 4 LO position. If you go too slow it will grind. The reason for the slight roll is to take the tension off the internal parts of the transfer case, enabling it to be shifted easily. Remember to put it FULLY into the 4LO position or it will ''jump out'' into neutral. No harm done, just let it slow to a crawl and shift back in. Once you have shifted a few times your foot and hand will learn the ''sweet spot'' and you will shift with no grinding and nary a second thought. When shifting into 4HI, at speeds below about 55mph, just let off the gas (to create ''slack'' in the driveline), shift into 4 HI and continue on your way. Take it out of 4HI the same way. Remember only use 4WD on a loose, gravelly or dirt surface, or a wet paved road. The 4WD in the Wrangler is a non-slip style transfer case, so the tires must slip easily or the internal pressures on the transfer case gears and chain will lead to failure. These cases are VERY durable, I sold my last Jeep with 198,000 miles, absolutely NO issues with the transfer case ever.

Quick Reply: Getting into 4wd?