Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Grinding / Dragging Noise at Drivers Front Wheel - Any ideas?

Old 07-12-2007, 11:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding / Dragging Noise at Drivers Front Wheel - Any ideas?

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone experieced a grinding / dragging noise coming from the front driver's side of their JK? I've recently noticed such a noise coming from my JK; I hear it when going slow, hitting the breaks doesn't change it, but it does seem to go away just before I come to a complete stop. (Man, I feel like someone on one of those mechanic commericals trying to explain this...)

Wondering if anyone had a similar issue or any suggestions? Anyone have any ideas of what I should have the $tealership look for? I'm bringing it in Monday for my 1st "free 3,000 mile oil change" and I've asked them to look at this too.

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2007, 12:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A similar thing happened to me twice at about the same mileage. I thought maybe a rock had wedged in between the break rotor and pad. It happened when I was driving home in my subdivision. I went backwards and forwards and it happened both ways.

I shut the Jeep off and went inside kind of bumbed because i needed to take it to the shop. Later I came out and drove it and the noise was gone. I'm still not sure what it was. There was no ESP light or anything and hasn't happened in the last 4000 miles.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:09 PM
JK Newbie

I have had the same noise. I took it to the dealer and they said there was mud and rocks stuck in the front left brakes, between the caliper and rotor. They cleaned it all off and it went away. I took it offroad again and the noise came back. Took it to the car wash and sprayed the power washer from the inside toward the brakes, and the noise mostly went away. It still comes back to a much lesser degree every now and then, so I need to try taking the wheel off to clean it. Hope this helps.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:44 PM
JK Newbie

mine is i the shop right now for this......it has been in 4 times now. the first time my service advisor wasn't there and the other guy helped me they ran it for less then 10 min and couldn't replicate the sound i pick it up and with in 2 weeks it was doing it again! i took it back in and my service advisor was there thank god.......he kept it for 4 days put almost 50 plus miles on it he took it home and finally heard the sound.........they replaced the front pads and rotors......was good to go for almost 2 weeks and then what do ya know it comes back so last week it was in there from mon - fri and they have decided to replace the wheel hub bearings ......... so i should get it back tomorrow and hopefully that will be the fix!!!!! i will update here with what they actually did when i get it back!!!!!!

edit: prior to taking it in the first time i had been off-road a few times so i though maybe it was dust in the brakes so i hosed them down and it went away for just a few days.

Last edited by rinkrat13; 07-12-2007 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the great replies! I've not taken my JK offroad yet, so I don't think it's mud... could be a rock though. Since I already have an appointment at the dealer, I'm gonna wait before I try a home-made fix... but I'll mention your fixes to the service advisor.

Rinkrat13, I'm interested in hearing if replacing the bearings helps, so I can talk about that with them too.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks again for the replies.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

try this thread http://https://www.jk-forum.com/foru...ghlight=pinion
mine did the same thing but went away on its own... my guess is the seal is higher than the lube can get to ..i would try some wd-40 on the pinion seal just to see if it goes away....

Last edited by mslc10; 07-12-2007 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have had my JK in the shop twice for a squealing sound in the front wheels. It sounds like the brakes are dragging or possible bearing issue. The first time they could not duplicate the issue. I had it in again yesterday and they were able to hear it. They have no idea what it is. They said they have checked the brakes, suspension, and drive shaft. All checked out as fine. The noise starts within 6 miles of driving and has pretty much done this every day for the last 4 weeks. I only have 5500 miles on it. My service advisor asked me to drive on it for a few more weeks and see if the noise will get to the point of starting the second the jeep starts rolling.

Rinkrat13, please let all of us know how it goes.

Thanks...........
Old 07-13-2007, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

I have the same issue that just started a week or so ago. It doesn't happen all of the time, but at least every other day. Hope we can get the problem resolved cause it is very annoying.

How can I look cool in my Jeep with a squealing coming from my brakes?
Old 07-13-2007, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Padstack, your right on the money man. I feel like a big dork with the squealing sound. Hey, I was checking out some of your mods, can you tell the differance with the throttle spacer and AEM intake. Also, has anybody tried a Jet performance chip? Will this stuff mess with the factory warranty?
Old 07-15-2007, 03:08 PM
JK Newbie

Anyone else with ideas?

I've made a list of all the parts others have replaced / inspected to try and stop the issue which I'm gonna share with the service advisor.

Going to the $tealer bright and early in the a.m., so I thought I'd ask again to see if anyone else has a response to add to the list.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Grinding / Dragging Noise at Drivers Front Wheel - Any ideas?