Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Grinding sound when turning...

Old 01-18-2011, 04:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding sound when turning...

This morning I went to get some things in town and noticed a grinding noise every time i turned right. I'm almost positive it's somewhere up in the front right wheel well. There's no sound what so ever when I'm going straight or turn left. Yesterday I did go on a gravel road but the distance was less than a 100 yards at a slow pace. Today I tried going to the pressure washing place to see if I could blast out any gravel that could possibly be stuck but that didn't seem to do anything. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Any possible other things to look for?
Old 01-18-2011, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

No experience but perhaps the liner pulled down and is rubbing.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:48 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by OzzyPotter
No experience but perhaps the liner pulled down and is rubbing.
Yeah thats what I figured at first but I tried pulling on everything and nothing is budging. It doesn't sound like the tread rubbing on anything but more of like a dragging sound...
Old 01-18-2011, 05:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last time I heard a grinding noise I had to replace my steering gear box.
I hope thats not your case.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeepoholic
Last time I heard a grinding noise I had to replace my steering gear box.
I hope thats not your case.
uh oh...I dont like the sound of that
Old 01-18-2011, 05:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the bolt that holds your steering stabilizer shock in place. Sometimes it can shift and the end of the bolt can rub up against the track rod when you turn the wheel.....at least I think it was the rod...anyway that's what mine was. Get someone to turn the wheel full left and right while your under the front end and you'll probably find the culprit
Old 01-18-2011, 06:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cmpmacchia
Check the bolt that holds your steering stabilizer shock in place. Sometimes it can shift and the end of the bolt can rub up against the track rod when you turn the wheel.....at least I think it was the rod...anyway that's what mine was. Get someone to turn the wheel full left and right while your under the front end and you'll probably find the culprit
Thanks! Hopefully its just something that simple but I'm not sure if that could be it since I've got the Rough Country dual steering stabilizer setup. Tomorrow I'll lift up the front and really check it out...
Old 01-20-2011, 02:45 PM
JK Freak

Well I took the Jeep to the dealer today and let them try to find the mysterious noise. After three hours the came up "We think its just your tires rubbing against your swaybar." I know this isn't the problem. I know the sound between rubber running along my swaybar and metal on metal contact. They said they took apart my entire front axle and inspected everything and all checked out. Bearings were good as well as my steering box. At this point I'm not sure what to do. I guess tomorrow I'll try and take it to a different dealership and see if they can diagnose it...If you guys have any advice or suggestions, let me hear it please!
Old 07-22-2011, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm having the same issue with the same response from my dealer! Seriously pissed! 200 dollar bill for them to tell me that its either my rear swaybar making contact with the tire ( which can only happen at full stuff) or it's the coil springs!?!? Wtf? Not sure how springs can make a grinding noise when you are going 10mph on flat ground. I liken the noise I have to the noise you get from wet brakes, except it happens whether I am on the brake or not. And usually when I let off the throttle at 10-15mph. Anyone have any ideas? 3.5 rough country lift with 35's on stock rubi wheels.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

Default I'm having the same problem

I'm having the same problem. I have a Rubicon Express 3.5" lift and 35" BFG Mud Terrain tires. I've checked under the front when someone turned the wheel back and forth and nothing is rubbing. I get a pretty loud grinding sound when going at slow speeds (5-20mph) when turning left or right. Also when backing out of a parking space. I do get the ESB light coming on in tight corners too when going at higher speeds. I feel the grind in the steering wheel and sometimes the brake pedal. I had the brakes checked recently and everything looked good with 85% pads. I do have the stock steering box so not sure if that needs to be upgraded or not. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Grinding sound when turning...