Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hard shift from 3rd to 4th

Old 02-24-2016, 12:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Hard shift from 3rd to 4th

Hey all. New to the site. Got my first Jeep back in mid 2014. Its a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. Doesn't have any mods, YET!!!! About a year ago I notice that ever time I put the Jeep into drive or reverse there was a "clanking" noise that came from under the Jeep. After taking it into the dealership where I got it from and them having it for almost two weeks they finally called and said they couldn't find any issues. When I went up there I showed the tech within 1 minute what I was talking about and they keep it to determine what was wrong. They ended up changing swapping out the rear drive shaft.

Ok onto my current issue that I seem to not be able to figure out whats going on. When ever I'm driving, the jeep has shifted from 2nd into 3rd, I have picked up enough speed and have lefted off the throttle the transmission shifts from 3rd to 4th, the shift is hard and there is a clanking noise. Now if I stay on the throttle and the Jeep shifts from 3rd to 4th the shift isn't really hard and there is no real noise to speak of. I took my buddies 2015 Rubicon out last night for a drive and differently notices a difference in his shifting vs mine shifting.

So I'm wondering if its an internal transmission issue or torque convert issue?? I'm thinking it may be an issue with the clutch from 3rd to 4th gear. I'm going to take it back to the dealership, probably a different one this time, but want anyones ideas on what it might be before I take it in. I really don't want to be driving a freaking mini van around for a month again while the Jeep is at the shop. I'd like to give them some kind of thoughts and idea to look at when I take it in.

Thanks
Matt
Old 02-25-2016, 04:39 AM
JK Newbie

I would suspect either a synchro being worn out or possibly the clutch. 4th gear in the 6 speed manual is like the 3rd gear on any 5 speed manual, and 3rd gear on all of the vehicles I've ever owned is notorious for grinding before the rest.

What if you double clutch? Does it shift smooth then?

Dave
Old 02-25-2016, 09:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drveede76
I would suspect either a synchro being worn out or possibly the clutch. 4th gear in the 6 speed manual is like the 3rd gear on any 5 speed manual, and 3rd gear on all of the vehicles I've ever owned is notorious for grinding before the rest. What if you double clutch? Does it shift smooth then? Dave
I'm pretty sure the op has an automatic transmission given the description he has given.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

Had the same problem for about 3 months, then was driving on the highway went to pass someone and lost 3rd and 4th gear. In the end I went with a remanufactured transmission and I can barely feel the shift points now.
Hope this isn't the case but just wanted to give you a heads up.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

Yes its an automatic transmission. Its due for a fluid / filter change, so I may just take it into the dealership and have them do that while checking out shifting issue.
Old 12-25-2020, 04:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Know this is an old post, but wondering if you ever figured out the issue? I'm having a similar issue now. Luckily just purchased the vehicle CPO, so will bring back to the dealer - but am trying to get an idea of what is wrong ahead of time.

Quick Reply: Hard shift from 3rd to 4th