Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hard top cracks from fasteners

Old 08-17-2008, 09:12 AM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CAOKKIE
I finally got my backseat removed from my two door and I am getting ready to design and build a platform in the back that rests on the ledge of the hard top. After reading all of the posts I thought maybe I should address this problem even though I don't have cracks at this time. I plan on using 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" aluminum to run parallel and on top of the ledge of the top.
Now the question is: How soon are you going to have your fix available. Also I didn't see any pictures of your design but by the pictures of the problem the top has stress from above that needs to be relieved by a shim below the top. Should your fix not be ready available would a fender washer below the top serve the same purpose so as not to hold up my project.
Also does anyone know if I should get longer bolts or will the factory bolts have enough bite after adding a fender washer below and 1/8" angle above.
My Thanks to anyone for any added imput, GRIZZ
I get the idea of adding support from underneath. The only issue that I can see with this is potential scratching of the paint on the Jeep. Otherwise I would recommend using a thin washer that is no larger than the size of the washer that is attached to the top fasteners.

I hope to know more info. about prices and delivery times, by Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll post details as I get them.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Woods
I get the idea of adding support from underneath. The only issue that I can see with this is potential scratching of the paint on the Jeep. Otherwise I would recommend using a thin washer that is no larger than the size of the washer that is attached to the top fasteners.

I hope to know more info. about prices and delivery times, by Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll post details as I get them.
Thanks Woods, I'm in for a fix!
Old 08-17-2008, 10:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was also thinking about a very thin rubber fender washer. I'll have to look again but I think I have seen them at Home Depot.

And thanks for the info. I am looking forward to your fix.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:36 PM
dfj
JK Newbie

I have a 2 door and the first time I took the top off the mounting seemed a weak point. It was interesting, if you crank down on the screws you could see the top's mounting points deform. Guaranteed to crack.

So, I bought the cool tech thumbs screws but removed the washer and retainer from each one. I replaced the cool tech washer with a 1 1/4" X 5/16" fender washer and a 1 1/4" X 5/16" neoprene rubber washer which I got at Taylor's Do It Center. I put them just snug - not tight! This spreads the load and provides a bit of cushion.

I also put neoprene rubber washers I also got at Taylor's under the two large screws which hold the freedom panels on. I snug them also - not tight! I had a small squeak here - and this fixed that.

So far, this is working for me.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:49 PM
JK Junkie

I noticed that mine are starting to get hairline cracks today. I took it to the dealership and they said they can cover it under warranty if I wanted to wait for it to get worse first. Funny thing is that the guy at the dealership said that they should make a spacer for this and he has seen it before too. I made sure they noted that it would be covered for when I go back when it is worse since I am hoping Jeep figures something out by the time it gets bad. Otherwise I am in for some of these spacers.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Bump.....any word on a retrofit Woods?
Old 08-21-2008, 05:50 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by cmpmacchia
Bump.....any word on a retrofit Woods?
I've been hounding my guy for costing info. As soon as I have it, I'll post up.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:25 PM
JK Super Freak

I've been hounding my guy for costing info. As soon as I have it, I'll post up.
Thanks Woods! Totally appreciate your concern and work on a solution. Hope we can help you somehow in the future.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:22 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Okay guy's, I finally have some pricing info. The kit would be $35, plus $7 shipping to the U.S. (shipping would be 17 to Canada)

Kit would be for six 2" X 1.5" stainless steel rectangles with pre-drilled holes and 3M VHB Double Sided Tape.

Before I start the manufacturing process, I need to determine a firm interest in this kit. I'm offering free shipping to the U.S. ($10 discounted shipping to Canada), to anybody who sends me an email saying that you're interested in purchasing the kit.

You can email me at brett@jeepswag.com

Last edited by Woods; 09-03-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:27 PM
JK Newbie

can you put a kit together for me containing 1 evap relocate, 1SS relocate and these new guys?

Quick Reply: Hard top cracks from fasteners