Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hardtop Addon WARNING

Old 12-04-2006, 05:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop Addon WARNING

Ok I got my JK a few weekes ago and went with one on the lot as opposed to a special order. I figured I was going to change a lot so i got a pretty base model one.

I then ordered the Hardtop through the dealer and they added it on with no problem except apparently there needs to be a firmware upgrade to the JK computer to aloow the rear defroster and windsheild wiper/spray to work.

Just wanted to let you all know. As of today there is no release or update of when this is coming out.

K
Old 12-04-2006, 05:55 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey kedelfor, thanks for the heads up. I wonder what all the people who decided to get a Bestop Hard Top are going to do. Please let us know when the firmware update comes in and you get it fixed
Old 12-04-2006, 06:03 AM
JK Newbie

Will do. I hate dealing with the dealer. They don't know anything about the new JK models. I can understand it has only been a few months, but the techs should have known these things before going into it.

K
Old 12-04-2006, 10:44 AM
JK Newbie

Not sure if it was this board or another one, but someone else ordered the hardtop after the fact and said the techs flashed his system and made everything work. I think the upgrade is available, just sounds like your dealer doesn't know how to do it. Might want to call around and check other dealers and see if it can be done the call your guys back.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be ordering the Bestop top so I guess I'll have to pay a visit to the dealer.

The unfortunate thing is I'm not sure I want to go to the dealer in town. They bought their Jeep franchise about a week before I ordered my JK so of course no one there knows anything about Jeeps, let alone the JK.

In fact when I asked about ordering they told me DC wasn't letting them place orders. I called the dealer in Helena about an hour and a half away and of course they jumped all over it and placed the order for me. So it looks like I'll have to drive an hour and a half just to get the flash done after I put the top on.

Beel
Old 12-04-2006, 02:20 PM
JK Freak

My dealer said they can do it. Infact they said they would charge 200 to show me how to remove all the soft top stuff, install the hardtop, make the needed wiring connections and flash the computer. I figure that isn't too bad, even though I really only need the comp flashed. I didn't think to ask about the switches for the wiper and defroster though. My old YJ had its own little switches for all that.

Bryan
Old 12-04-2006, 04:49 PM
JK Jedi Master

The dealer is going to charge a min. of $85 any time they have to hook up and change any of the programing.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Need Reflash

I ordered the top from the dealer as well.
Couldn't wait until someone in town had a hardtop and was not willing to wait 2 months for an order. The top arrived in about 3 weeks.

After the install, the dealer said they needed tech support from back east to reflash the computer. Didn't give me much confidence in their capability. I'll give them another shot to get it done.

The installation was included with the cost of the top.
Or maybe is was hidden in the dealer markup on the JK when I bought it .
Old 12-14-2006, 05:19 AM
JK Newbie

Default Follow up part 1

Ok so I just heard from the dealer and the software has been released and I have an appointment on Monday to get it done. So i will let you all know if it goes well or not and this can be an issue that is no longer worried about.

K
Old 12-15-2006, 10:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Upgraded and Operational

Got a call from the dealer on Tuesday. The firmware is available.
Had the reflash done on Thursday and all works as it should.

Quick Reply: Hardtop Addon WARNING