Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Heat coming only when driving

Old 02-17-2019, 03:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat coming only when driving

I have 2009 jk sahra and I recently had my coolant changed and I keep having cold air blowing when im not driving. When I知 actually driving I知 getting hot air. Just when I知 stopped at lights it starts to blow cold air. Any ideas on how to fix that? I don稚 really want to take it in as I知 scared it痴 going to be expensive and I would like to try and fix it my self.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:47 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Sounds like it may need more coolant, or needs "burping", or both.

Ask the shop that did the work if they will do that at no extra cost.

If they say no, then look at it for low coolant level in the cold radiator, and the recovery bottle.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Totally agree with Ron. Probably has air in the system and needs to be burbed. Our JKs have a self burbing system but you will need to monitor the level of the coolant and continue to top it off.

Or you can burb it yourself to begin with. I have done it by putting a floor jack under the axle on the passenger side and raising that side so the mouth of the radiator is the highest part of the system. *Air always travels to the highest point. With the rad cap off, run the engine and continually squeeze the top rad hose to get any air trapped in the hose out while continuing to fill the rad with coolant as air comes out. Then fill the overflow bottle to the max level line once you're convinced you can't anymore coolant into the rad.

Quick Reply: Heat coming only when driving