Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Heat Padding or Shielding under Jeep

Old 07-24-2017, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat Padding or Shielding under Jeep

This is a simple question I hope and I have no intention of calling the dealership, but I was under my JK last weekend and noticed that the heat padding that is supposed to be clipped up nest to the underside of the tub has fallen and is drooping down. It looks like three of the large plastic washers have fallen off at some point allowing it to sag down. I'm not talking about the heat shields that are around the exhaust but the silver padding looking stuff..

Does anyone have any ideas where I can order some new grey plastic flat nuts that hold it up besides the dealership? and what the hell are they called, I cannot find them on any parts lists or schematics? I think they just push on the post, they aren't actually screwed on. I think they are similar to the ones in the cab that hold down the carpet.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-24-2017, 07:54 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

If it is the same as what holds down the carpet, I think you are looking for part #6508009AA. I'm not at home so can't verify if that is actually the same piece that is used to secure the heatshield. It seems a little off they'd use a wimpy plastic clip in a place you're obviously dealing with heat.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
If it is the same as what holds down the carpet, I think you are looking for part #6508009AA. I'm not at home so can't verify if that is actually the same piece that is used to secure the heatshield. It seems a little off they'd use a wimpy plastic clip in a place you're obviously dealing with heat.
That's what I thought but there is still one under there. I looked up that part number but I don't think it is right. These are grey and the post that you push them down on are pretty narrow, those look like the diameter of a pencil.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:43 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

They match the image of what's in my interior. Yes it looks like a pencil could pass through, but they have little fins on the inside of that barrel that capture the small post......almost opposite of the christmas tree push pins. At least that is how the interior ones are on my '13. They are definitely not like a tight screw on....they just push and those fins grab the post.

Maybe something different on that heat shield. If nobody else responds, I'll look at mine when I get home today.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

They match the image of what's in my interior. Yes it looks like a pencil could pass through, but they have little fins on the inside of that barrel that capture the small post......almost opposite of the christmas tree push pins. At least that is how the interior ones are on my '13. They are definitely not like a tight screw on....they just push and those fins grab the post.

Maybe something different on that heat shield. If nobody else responds, I'll look at mine when I get home today.
Okay, that would be great. The pictures that I found of them online were actually drawings not actual photos so it's kind of hard to judge what I'm looking at. But your description of them sounds right
Old 07-24-2017, 05:03 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Ok, just saw your post and it reminded me to go look. Those are definitely NOT the same as the carpet ones. It seems I have 2 different things from the factory on my '13. One is an actual bolt, the second is similar to the plastic carpet ones, but it is metal, the middel is actually much more narrow, and it appears to be crimped on securely as to not come loose. Pics I snapped -

I'd say that most of them are the crimped clips, with only a couple being the flanged nuts. That said, the posts appear to be the same threaded post. I have skids and it's not supper convenient for me to remove one of the nuts to determine the size, but I'm guessing it looks like an M6. I would also say it looks like you could just use bolt and washer if you determine the correct size necessary. Probably easier than finding those crimping retainers. I say that, but can't be 100% certain it's threaded as it appears.....just looks that way at least.
Hope that helps.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:23 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Honestly, these would probably work just fine too -

https://www.amazon.com/MATCC-Exhaust...at+shield+clip
Old 07-25-2017, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Honestly, these would probably work just fine too -

https://www.amazon.com/MATCC-Exhaust...at+shield+clip
Nice find! After looking at those I think I will give them a try.

Quick Reply: Heat Padding or Shielding under Jeep