Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help Hot Transmission P0218 and P0740

Old 03-17-2018, 02:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help Hot Transmission P0218 and P0740

I have a 2008 JKU with 175K miles. I had a P0740 code which is TCC Solenoid TCC not locking the Torque Converter. I replaced the Solenoid Block yesterday which should have fixed the problem. Today as soon as I was on the freeway my CEL came on again. Same code P0740 and a new code P0218 which is hot transmission. My Hot Oil warning didn't come on. It has come on in the past.

Could my Torque Converter be bad since replacing the Solenoid Block didn't fix the problem? If the TC is slipping at high speed would that make my Transmission overheat and cause the P0218?
Old 03-17-2018, 03:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Have you added an auxiliary trans cooler?
Old 03-17-2018, 04:10 PM
JK Newbie

Not yet. I'm not sure if the heat is causing the TC problems or the TC is causing the heat problems. It's next on my list though.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DiamondDan73
Not yet. I'm not sure if the heat is causing the TC problems or the TC is causing the heat problems. It's next on my list though.
3.8L automatics in JKs have woefully inadequate transmission cooling. Many have burned to the ground from transmission overheating causing fluid to pour out of the fill tube and onto the exhaust. I'd recommend you get a trans cooler fitted ASAP. Any properly installed parts store cooler will do the job.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Is your Jeep shuddering as the TC locks up? The 42rle is a piece of garbage that has problems nobody is able to fix. This is just the beginning. Wish I had a fix to advise but there are none.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

No shuttering at all. Can't even notice that there is a problem. The only way I know there is something wrong is the CEL comes on after when I hit 70 on the freeway. I bought the B&M Transmission Cooler and will install it on Friday to get my temps down. From what I have been reading the TC malfunction can cause excessive heat.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:43 AM
JK Freak

No shuttering at all. Can't even notice that there is a problem. The only way I know there is something wrong is the CEL comes on after when I hit 70 on the freeway. I bought the B&M Transmission Cooler and will install it on Friday to get my temps down. From what I have been reading the TC malfunction can cause excessive heat.
The reverse is most likely the case. On JK 3.8L automatics people used to routinely report trans fluid temps of 240+ degrees, combined with poor trans performance. One contributor, who happens to be a GM dealer tech specializing in transmission repair, claimed the TC seal on his '08 started leaking and the local Jeep dealer refused to repair it under the lifetime warranty because he'd installed 33s. The GM dealerwhere he worked let him use their shop to tear it down and repair it himself. He said e he couldn't remove the TC any way other than to actually break off the stator support. He reported the TC was burned blue from heat. He replaced the stator support, TC & seal, plus added an auxiliary trans cooler and all was well. I got a kick out of his postings, because as much as we diss the 42RLE, he said compared to similar GM transmissions it was much higher quaity....YIKES!
Old 04-12-2018, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

Got the Transmission cooler installed. I haven't had a chance to drive it for a long distance yet. Hopefully it does the trick.
The following users liked this post:
jagarwal (08-28-2022)
Old 02-18-2021, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the Transmission cooler installed. I haven't had a chance to drive it for a long distance yet. Hopefully it does the trick.
what happens? Are the codes p0740 and p0218 gone?
Old 08-13-2022, 01:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after you got the Transmission cooler installed are the codes p0740 and p0218 gone?

Quick Reply: Help Hot Transmission P0218 and P0740