Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

help, I need to brake my engine in ASAP!

Old 12-28-2006, 07:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help, I need to brake my engine in ASAP!

So here's the problem. I've been waiting for my Unlimited sence the end of Oct.
excited at the thought of it getting here before the big newyears ski trip. So when does it get here? The same day I'm do to leave for the trip. Of course I want to take it but the trip is going to take 6 Hwy hours and 2 mountian hours drive time. I Need feed back asap please... it's going to be here on the 30th and I need to know if it's a bad idea to break it in on a road trip. From what I've read the thoughts are about 50-50. Anyone with any experance on this please help.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-28-2006, 08:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I picked up my Unlimited 1500km's from home. It had 600 km's on it when I bought it.

I drove 2-8 hour days. I made sure I changed my speeds quite frequently (every 10 mins. or so). Didn't go over 90 km/h.

I bought a Caravan in 95 and did the same thing and had no problems with it, my ex (the devils spawn!!!) just traded it in and it still worked perfectly.

Just my 2 cents. I don't really see a problem as long as you don't use cruise control and vary your speeds. There are others with more experience that I though.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:56 AM
JK Freak

Default Take It

Drive it. Like the other guys said - take it easy, vary your speeds and enjoy your new rig. You'll be fine.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Varying your speed/rpm and keeping away from the red line is the key. What you don't want is to drive on a flat highway at 70 mph for 6 hours.

Being that you're driving thru the mountains, your speed/rpm should varry the whole time. You'll be fine....actually it's prob the best way to break in your engine.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The manual says you only need 300 miles to break in the engine.....a little short for me, but it is their engine. Mine seemed to lossen up after about 500 miles of variable driving. The big thing is to not floor it from a dead stop when it is brand new.

Marc
Black Sahara 2dr

Quick Reply: help, I need to brake my engine in ASAP!