Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help... Issue with pumping gas... backflows onto Jeep!!

Old 06-22-2012, 04:23 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help... Issue with pumping gas... backflows onto Jeep!!

I was pumping gas this morning and everytime I pulled the handle gas would spill back out of all over the jeep.

WTF? I buy gas from this station all the time. I did go to another pump and had the same issue. Since I desperately needed fuel I went to a different gas station and was able to pump gas but it did back flow a couple of times.

My Jeep is a 2012 JKU Rubicon.

Any ideas?! Do I need to make a trip to the dealership?
Old 06-22-2012, 04:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is an 09 and it had to have the whole fuel tank removed and replaced. I believe there was a service bulletin or even a recall for certain years. Not sure on the 2012.

Had mine replaced under warranty and it hasn't back flowed since. Good luck
Old 06-22-2012, 04:32 AM
JK Super Freak

I have an 08 and had my tank replaced under warranty as well. My issue was the tank acting as if the vehicle rolled so it's fuel system was incorrectly sealing off the tank. You should be able to get a new tank under warranty no problem. The valves inside the tank aren't serviceable so that's why they replace vs repair.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Go to the dealership. There is a service bulletin on this and I believe it is lifetime warranty for this issue. Had mine done a few months back. No problems since.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:02 AM
JK Jedi

I called the dealership and there are no TSBs for the 2012 related to my issue. The SA said bring it in and they would diagnose the problem and then make the correction. The good news is he said in most cases they no longer have to replace the tank they replace the filler neck. Of course he recommended I bring it in with as low of fuel as possible just in case. He didn't want to waste any gas since the would have to pump out the excess. Guy seemed pretty cool to deal with... we'll see on Monday.

Thanks for your replies...
Old 06-22-2012, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had that same problem a few weeks ago. I brought mine to the dealership right there on capital. They were pretty good. Slow on ordering parts but service was good. Just don't let then do any work before you ok it. They god a recall on my fender liners... I have flat fenders and when they put the flares back on there was a 1/4 in dap between the flare and the body. I told them about it s d they took it back and tried to reset them but they didn't do any good at all. So just Jane sure they tell you the problem first.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by scrappy
Mine is an 09 and it had to have the whole fuel tank removed and replaced. I believe there was a service bulletin or even a recall for certain years. Not sure on the 2012.

Had mine replaced under warranty and it hasn't back flowed since. Good luck
I have an '09 too and I feel like I've had this issue every now and again. Do you know anymore about the recall as far as what Jeeps are included in the Service Bulletin or Recall?
Old 06-22-2012, 12:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by g'eep09jk
I have an '09 too and I feel like I've had this issue every now and again. Do you know anymore about the recall as far as what Jeeps are included in the Service Bulletin or Recall?
no, I was told my jeep didn't fall under the recall (08 I believe) and there was no Service Bulletin. They replaced mine under warranty.

Check here maybe?
Old 06-27-2012, 09:16 AM
JK Jedi

Since I went to the beach last weekend I had to fill my tank multiple times. Wouldn't you know it, I haven't had the problem since I reported it to you all. I cancelled the appointment with the Stealership and hopefully it was operator error ().

Thanks for the feedback!!
Old 06-27-2012, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

Have had this problem since I bought my 08 in 2011 bought it used with 50,000 miles on it. I called the local stealership yesterday and asked and they said instantly. Yup no problem bring it in tomorrow its a extended warranty procedure

Quick Reply: Help... Issue with pumping gas... backflows onto Jeep!!