Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Torque App questions

Old 03-16-2013, 05:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque App questions

Installed the torque app on my phone the other day and hooked it up to my Jeep. Yesterday, I went for a 20 mile drive. Monitoring the app I have a few questions for those that have this app monitoring their Jeep.

At full throttle (gas pedal buried into the carpet), it shows the throttle position is only at 83%. 83% is as high as it goes with the cruise control on also, so it's not a pedal interference issue. Is 83% the norm for our Jeeps? I think there might be a little more power available if the throttle actually opened up 100%. I could seriously use this power, I had to drive home in 5th as I was going against a 25 mph headwind. 6th is useless.

Coolant temp - My jeep was running between 215 and 220 degrees, normal? Thats awfully hot. Outside temp was 65 degrees. Of course, the temp gauge is straight up "normal".

This info is recieved from the ecu.

Can anyone else out there share there torque readings?

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2013, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't have the app, so i can't comment on that. If its one that reads from a blue tooth dongle in the obd2 port i would trust it more than just an app they uses the phones accelerometer.

I do know in GM vehicles the computer only reads 88% at w.o.t. Because of the fact that the system runs on 12 volts and tps reads voltage increases and decreases with throttle input. I've also noticed it reads 3-5%(roughly it may be more or less, its been a while since i plugged mine into my scan tool) tps at idle. I'm not an expert on how the system works in its entirety but I'm willing to bet your tps % values are normal and just because it doesn't say 100% I'm sure your getting every pony out of it that you can.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RichN
Installed the torque app on my phone the other day and hooked it up to my Jeep. Yesterday, I went for a 20 mile drive. Monitoring the app I have a few questions for those that have this app monitoring their Jeep.

At full throttle (gas pedal buried into the carpet), it shows the throttle position is only at 83%. 83% is as high as it goes with the cruise control on also, so it's not a pedal interference issue. Is 83% the norm for our Jeeps? I think there might be a little more power available if the throttle actually opened up 100%. I could seriously use this power, I had to drive home in 5th as I was going against a 25 mph headwind. 6th is useless.

Coolant temp - My jeep was running between 215 and 220 degrees, normal? Thats awfully hot. Outside temp was 65 degrees. Of course, the temp gauge is straight up "normal".

Thanks!
I've been looking at getting the OBD2 bluetooth adapter to use with my torque app. Could you tell me which one you got and for how much? Thanks.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

ELM327 V1 5 Bluetooth Super Mini Small OBD2 Scanner Adapter Tool Torque Android | eBay
Old 04-02-2013, 12:48 AM
JK Newbie

What is a good obdii app for iPhones or iPads?
Old 04-02-2013, 09:29 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks! Hows the data transmit time? Is there a lag?

Some of the more expensive ones (+$100) claim to be faster than the cheap ones.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CaptAnzuelo
Thanks! Hows the data transmit time? Is there a lag?

Some of the more expensive ones (+$100) claim to be faster than the cheap ones.

Having played with a number of different apps and different obd2 dongles (wifi and bluetooth), the cheaper ones do an ok job of giving data. It is not instant, but within a second or two of real time. Updates as "live" are/can be set to a certain number per second, based on the quality of the dongle you are using. I've found that most bluetooth devices work fine, but are not as 'real time' as you'd think. USB connected ones (even the cheap one I use) to a laptop or garage desktop seem to update a little bit better.

Quality of the device you are using plays a big part in how fast your updates are. 95% of us will never need anything more then the cheaper versions.

If you have a laptop and a dongle, I'd suggest ScanXL, some of the better software/dashboard setups out there.

Android, Torque Pro (the paid version is worth it).
iPad/iPhone REV, Dashcommand (same makers of ScanXL), or fuzzycar.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

Does the Torque app display transmission temperature? I did some searching and got conflicting information. I'd love to be able to use this to monitor temps after installing my transmission cooler.

Thanks for any help!
Old 04-02-2013, 04:31 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by RichN

Thanks!
your coolant temp is normal and is dictated by the thermostat. It will most likely read 215-220 whether it is 30* or 100* out when at operating temp.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Neto95
Does the Torque app display transmission temperature? I did some searching and got conflicting information. I'd love to be able to use this to monitor temps after installing my transmission cooler.

Thanks for any help!
Since I am still new to the Jeep (only a year!) I havent really looked into it. However if the PCM/ECM can read the Transmission temp then there SHOULD be a way for it to be read by the Torque App. Now, if its in there there may not be a demand for it or the developers may not see a reason to add it yet. (Enough people asking for it is a good start).

I am not near my Jeep so I cant test to see if its there or not, but from the research I did, no it doesnt look like it does it out of the box.

Quick Reply: Torque App questions