Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help Me Identify The Rattle (07 JKU 134,000 miles)

Old 09-10-2013, 06:42 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah I had the heat shield issue with my 07 too. I had to pry a little on the shield to be able to see where the welds were broken and causing rattle. A couple new band clamps and fixed.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by k0260
yeah I had the heat shield issue with my 07 too. I had to pry a little on the shield to be able to see where the welds were broken and causing rattle. A couple new band clamps and fixed.
I was able to pry mine enough to stop the rattle.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:34 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I was able to pry mine enough to stop the rattle.
That's what I'd done originally. Think I bent the sheild too far up, began to create a new rattle. So I threw a band clamp on.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on the type of rattle. If it's a "lighter" "tin-ey" sounding rattle it probably is one of the heat shields. If it's a "lower" more solid sounding rattle I'd lean towards something loose in the front suspension or the steering shaft. The dealership replaced the steering shaft on my 11' with less than 15k miles; which got rid of one rattle.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:31 PM
JK Newbie

Well Gents, Thanks for the advice! I got on my belly and check the heat shield and I have atleast 1 cracked weld that I can see. Purchased some clamps from Harbor Freight and will try securing it tomorrow when the sun is out Again. I will report back. THANKS again.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TrekkinDave
Well Gents, Thanks for the advice! I got on my belly and check the heat shield and I have atleast 1 cracked weld that I can see. Purchased some clamps from Harbor Freight and will try securing it tomorrow when the sun is out Again. I will report back. THANKS again.
had the exact same problem and it was identical to what you described... Crawled under and didn't notice the bad weld at first and then rechecked the forums and double checked the welds... Sure enough, WHAM.. it was there. $2.00 and one pipe screw clamp later it was gone.

That was my first "issue" with my Jeep and my first experience using the forums... Problem solved thanks to the knowledge and experience of other fellow Jeepers! Great community for sure

Quick Reply: Help Me Identify The Rattle (07 JKU 134,000 miles)