Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HELP - Problems with Clutch after dune bashing

Old 06-03-2011, 01:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - Problems with Clutch after dune bashing

Hi guys

I'm hoping someone can help me out with some info.

I was out driving in the Dubai dunes today and right at the end of the trip i got stuck. i was riding the clutch quite bad to try and get myself out (which i eventually did) but there was a puff of whitish smoke that came from under the jeep and the engine warning light came on. the light went off again by the time i had driving to the gas station to air up the tyres.

the issue is now that the clutch is taking very high and it just feels very different to how it was before today.

also when i was driving back home and i depressed the clutch pedal then the revs drop to about 1000rpm and there is a tiny bit of resistance on the gear lever when changing gears. then when i stop, the revs go back to idle speed at 500-600 rpm.

My feelings are that i have somehow lost some pressure in the hydraulic system for the clutch? if this is correct can i top up this hydraulic fluid?

thanks for you help.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:30 AM
JK Newbie

nobody can help?
Old 06-03-2011, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

You probably boiled the clutch fluid. Will need to bleed it like the brake system.

Also the clutch disk is either glazed or burned out, depending on how bad you were slipping it.

Time to talk to a mechanic if you don't know how to dig into the problems.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

White smoke = toasted clutch if not the pressure plate.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you saw much smoke, you probably will need a new clutch disc and probably a pressure plate. If is is glazed/burned bad, it will start slipping, and get worse over time. Eventually you will release the clutch, the engine will rev.....but you won't move.

I only smoked a couple clutches long ago in my younger/wilder days in my poor old 67 Supersport, and it was mechanical linkage, not hydralic. So I do not know if you affected the fluid. But changing it sure would not hurt.

If it is acting up and you are not sure what it is, ask around about a mechanic you can trust, take it in.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

right i just took my jeep to go get washed and vacuumed and it drives fine with no smoke or issues changing gears, acceleration is normal and there are no noises from the transmission at all.

The only thing is that the clutch pedal is taking very high maybe the last inch or from the top, i can pretty much just tap the clutch pedal and i'd be able to change gears.

you guys still think the whole clutch is fried? i've only got 7000km (4375 miles) on it?

how much would a new clutch set me back at the jeep service center? for some reason the clutch isnt covered under warranty here in Dubai.

thanks for all the help.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SupaJAYdub
right i just took my jeep to go get washed and vacuumed and it drives fine with no smoke or issues changing gears, acceleration is normal and there are no noises from the transmission at all.

The only thing is that the clutch pedal is taking very high maybe the last inch or from the top, i can pretty much just tap the clutch pedal and i'd be able to change gears.

you guys still think the whole clutch is fried? i've only got 7000km (4375 miles) on it?

how much would a new clutch set me back at the jeep service center? for some reason the clutch isnt covered under warranty here in Dubai.

thanks for all the help.
if the clutch starts slipping or you ride it you can kill a clutch with 0kms on it.

Clutches are usually only covered for the first year even in North America, and even then if they find its because of abuse they wont cover it.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:55 AM
JK Newbie

i've dropped her off at the service center and they'll have a look at the clutch tomorrow morning. hope its not gonna sting me too much.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Was it as much smoke as in the video below of your neighbor in Kuwait cooking his clutch by trying to reverse up a sandbank in high range?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwNK3oxjy6A

Last edited by JKlad; 06-04-2011 at 03:47 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:11 AM
JK Newbie

not that much smoke, i actually spoke to kooty already about it.

and the service center just told me now that the clutch is fine and there is nothing wrong with it.

there is some error with the engine and thats why the engine warning light came on, they'r resetting the onboard computer and checking everything again and i should get it back soon.

but now i know not to ride the clutch.

i think i should have put it into 4lo when i saw that i was stuck in the sand and then taken my foot off the clutch and tried to save myself that way. failing that i should just get out and dig.

Quick Reply: HELP - Problems with Clutch after dune bashing