Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help! Rear locker won't disengage.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! Rear locker won't disengage.

Hi guys,

I was off road today at Coral Pink Sand Dunes in Utah. I cannot get the rear locker to fully disengage. The front works fine. But the idiot light on the dash keeps flashing. Has all day. It seems to be disenaged at higher speeds but when I make tight turns at slow speeds, the rear tire chirps on pavement. A dealer is going to look at it Tuesday. But I'm in Utah on vacation (live in Pa). Any ideas. I've tried the obvious. Engage then disengage. Drive on sand. Drive on pavement. Back up. I checked the wires running to the dif.
They are connected. It will fully engage (light stays on) but it won't fully disengage.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, not to be mean but just disconnect the wires and tape a zip lock bag on the connector. this will get it unlocked unless there is something wrong in the diff. It should not hurt any thing to run it locked unless you plan to run a slalum course. Your tires will get a little wear from it being locked but nothing major. watch powering out in the rain if it does rain.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:28 PM
JK Newbie

My front locker behaves like that on occasion and so far the dealer hasn't come up with a solution. It is intermitant and no rhyme or reason for when it acts up... sorry I'm no help .... if anyone has a solution I'm sure we're not alone.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey, thanks. I checked to see that the wires were not broken but I didn't think to disconnect. Thanks alot. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:56 PM
JK Jedi

Others are having the problem too. I will be curious to see how you get it resolved.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

mine is doing this also since my last trip out. It engages just fine, doesnt seem to fully disengage, atleast that is what the blinking idiot light is telling me. Although it is acting like it is open. I am planning to open the cover on my days off next week, to see if I can see anything

Last edited by jeffmarion; 05-25-2007 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeffmarion
mine is doing this also since my last trip out. It engages just fine, doesnt seem to fully disengage, atleast that is what the blinking idiot light is telling me. Although it is acting like it is open. I am planning to open the cover on my days off next week, to see if I can see anything
I've got mine at the stealership right now. They just called me saying "did the light start blinking before or after you regeared?" I said after. "Well since it happend afterwards it's not going to be warrantied, but I'll have my supervisor look at it." Just curious to know if everyone that is having the blinking locker light had their jeep regeared?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bleblanc
I've got mine at the stealership right now. They just called me saying "did the light start blinking before or after you regeared?" I said after. "Well since it happend afterwards it's not going to be warrantied, but I'll have my supervisor look at it." Just curious to know if everyone that is having the blinking locker light had their jeep regeared?
My front blinking lock light is on a Rubi that has NOT been regeared. But from what I can tell, it does not even appear that the locker is truly even trying to engage for me when it was happening....considering I was always in 2wd when seeing it....should have been no way it could have been trying to engage.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Area-51
My front blinking lock light is on a Rubi that has NOT been regeared. But from what I can tell, it does not even appear that the locker is truly even trying to engage for me when it was happening....considering I was always in 2wd when seeing it....should have been no way it could have been trying to engage.
Thanks for clarifying that Area-51. I will keep that in mind if/when the stealership tries to get me for some cash.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PhilD
The sensor which tells it that it is locked needs to go behind the disc attached to the side gear. If it doesn't it will never know it is locked, and always flash when you engage the locker. The idiots who re-geared mine bent the shaft on the sensor, this resulted in a few problems, one of which was that the plunger on the senor stayed out even when the locker was not engaged, thus causing the locker light to flash.

The sensor can be installed correctly with the diff in place, but it is a little tricky and is supposed to be done with the diff pulled out.
Just got a call back and that is EXACTLY what they said. The axel sensor was damaged during installation.

$793.23 is what it will cost me to have the stealership repair it.

I called the shop that installed the gears for me (now this is GREAT customer service) told me to get a print out of what needs to be done with a part number and a receipt for anything the dealer has done thus far and bring it to them. Very cool!

Quick Reply: Help! Rear locker won't disengage.