Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

High pitched whistling when accelerating

Old 01-03-2011, 01:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High pitched whistling when accelerating

Hi guys,

I have a high pitched whistling sound that only occurs while the gas pedal is pressed after the engine has warmed up. It occurs mostly between 40 and 60 MPH. I am running a stock air filter. Anyone else had similar issues?

Micah
Old 01-03-2011, 03:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on a lot of things.

Soft Top?

Sometimes brake calipers rubbing?

Lift and stock driveshaft?

Have you worked on anything recently?

Tire rotation, new front bumper, something?
Old 01-03-2011, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Your wife had a supercharger installed and forgot to tell you
Old 01-03-2011, 03:56 PM
JK Freak

Where's the whistle coming from? Front, back, engine compartment, left, right, etc.

Does it do it between 40-50 mph while depressing the accelerator?

If you put it on neutral and let it coast at that speed does it still make that sound?

With the windows rolled down? Up?

Soft or hard top?

Radio on or off?

Originally Posted by StrokeHerAce
Your wife had a supercharger installed and forgot to tell you
Wouldn't that be a wonderful problem?
Old 01-03-2011, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Youve probably already checked this but I had a whistle like that and it was a leaf on the top side of my air filter in the intake tube
Old 01-04-2011, 11:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sa29560
Depends on a lot of things.

Soft Top?

Sometimes brake calipers rubbing?

Lift and stock driveshaft?

Have you worked on anything recently?

Tire rotation, new front bumper, something?
It is a soft top, but it isn't wind noise. The suspension is stock.

I recently had work done on the axles - lockers, gears, and shafts. However, I don't think they are a cause because the noise would likely relate to tire rotation.

Originally Posted by thrshr01
Where's the whistle coming from? Front, back, engine compartment, left, right, etc.

Does it do it between 40-50 mph while depressing the accelerator?

If you put it on neutral and let it coast at that speed does it still make that sound?

With the windows rolled down? Up?

Soft or hard top?

Radio on or off?
Whistling sounds like it's coming from the engine compartment, though I'm not entirely sure. It seems to happen most often at between 40 and 50 and only while the accelerator is depressed. It stops if get off the accelerator or put it in neutral, even with the accelerator depressed. Windows up or down is the same, and the radio is off.

Originally Posted by h1ker
Youve probably already checked this but I had a whistle like that and it was a leaf on the top side of my air filter in the intake tube
I have already checked the air filter and intake tubing.

Thanks!

Micah
Old 01-04-2011, 11:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a whining noise after a mud/water wheeling trip. Turned out to be a bad tensioner pulley. Mine started out as a light whistling sound before getting worse to the point where it sounded like I installed a turbo. It would be most noticeable when accelarating but would calm down after letting up on the gas. Although, right beofre I fixed mine, it was pretty bad sounding!

I've heard a lot of people with similar issues and it usually ends up being either the tensionoer pulley ot the idler pulley. Both are identical so the replacement would be the same regardless. If that ends up being your issue, I heard you can pick up a pulley from NAPA for about $18. I got mine from a friend that works at a parts place for $5 and I swapped mine out in under 10 minutes (and I'm an idiot when it comes to self repairs!). Sound is now completely gone.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:41 PM
JK Newbie

Default High pitched whistle

Do you have an automatic or manual? Mine just started a whistle when i'm at 1900 rpm in any gear up to 2100 rpm.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:43 PM
JK Freak

you checked the intake duct between then air cleaner housing and throttle body? No loose clamps or holes in the duct? Did you check to make sure there's no broken or disconnected vacuum lines? It's not a squeal like a belt, right?
Old 01-04-2011, 01:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
I had a whining noise after a mud/water wheeling trip. Turned out to be a bad tensioner pulley. Mine started out as a light whistling sound before getting worse to the point where it sounded like I installed a turbo. It would be most noticeable when accelarating but would calm down after letting up on the gas. Although, right beofre I fixed mine, it was pretty bad sounding!

I've heard a lot of people with similar issues and it usually ends up being either the tensionoer pulley ot the idler pulley. Both are identical so the replacement would be the same regardless. If that ends up being your issue, I heard you can pick up a pulley from NAPA for about $18. I got mine from a friend that works at a parts place for $5 and I swapped mine out in under 10 minutes (and I'm an idiot when it comes to self repairs!). Sound is now completely gone.
Sounds good. I'll pick up a new tension pully on my way home and see if that fixes it.

Originally Posted by kyle1224
Do you have an automatic or manual? Mine just started a whistle when i'm at 1900 rpm in any gear up to 2100 rpm.
It's an automatic.

Originally Posted by thrshr01
you checked the intake duct between then air cleaner housing and throttle body? No loose clamps or holes in the duct? Did you check to make sure there's no broken or disconnected vacuum lines? It's not a squeal like a belt, right?
The vacuum system was the first thing I checked, and I didn't see anything that was obviously disconnected. If the pulley doesn't fix it I might be a bit more thorough in a second examination.

Micah

Quick Reply: High pitched whistling when accelerating