Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hot oil light 2012 sport

Old 05-14-2012, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to dealer today and they told me it was a bad TCM. Part will be in tomorrow. Let's see what happens. 2000 miles an stuff is breaking already. Testing my confidence in the jk.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:11 PM
JK Freak

I hope they found it.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Mbutler82
Went to dealer today and they told me it was a bad TCM. Part will be in tomorrow. Let's see what happens. 2000 miles an stuff is breaking already. Testing my confidence in the jk.
Same here. Constant BS with these electrical systems. It is a Jeep, Keep it simple Fiat and Chrysler. Dashboard is becoming more like a video arcade at night , different issues everytime. Not really getting the feeling of the JK being around long, as to getting to expensive to repair due to the computers. Bad enough it is now all dealer parts needed, then they need to program something simple like a throttle body, which if you do not have a warranty, more money $$$. It is all out of control .

Not to rant on Chrysler,, but when the hell are they coming out either with a paper back or cd version service manual for the JK Jeep. Still to this date, nothing. HELLO CHRYSLER !!!! 5 Years now the JK has been out ,,,, lol

SKULL-FACE
Old 05-14-2012, 05:23 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any chance the JK didn't have a full amount of oil when you bought it?
Old 05-14-2012, 05:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why was your traction light on? Could that be a clue??

Dunno, but curious
Old 05-19-2012, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BigRedJK
Any chance the JK didn't have a full amount of oil when you bought it?
I changed the engine oil that morning. Didn't check the trans fluid though.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SKULL_FACE
Same here. Constant BS with these electrical systems. It is a Jeep, Keep it simple Fiat and Chrysler. Dashboard is becoming more like a video arcade at night , different issues everytime. Not really getting the feeling of the JK being around long, as to getting to expensive to repair due to the computers. Bad enough it is now all dealer parts needed, then they need to program something simple like a throttle body, which if you do not have a warranty, more money $$$. It is all out of control .

Not to rant on Chrysler,, but when the hell are they coming out either with a paper back or cd version service manual for the JK Jeep. Still to this date, nothing. HELLO CHRYSLER !!!! 5 Years now the JK has been out ,,,, lol

SKULL-FACE
They do have a service manual cd out for the early one's don't know about paper back thou
Old 05-19-2012, 10:02 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SKULL_FACE

SKULL-FACE

Chrysler is not to blame for the electrical nightmare that the modern Jeep can be. The consumers who want in dash navigation, power windows, and a foot massager are a big part of it as well as the government. If you want an expensive electronic nightmare, imagine a wiring harness which includes all the creature comforts of the modern Jeep, without the computers. A seperate circuit for every single light and motor on the Jeep.

Expense wise, the three main computers required for the Jeep to properly function can be had for under 2 grand. Compare that to the PCMs of previous vehicles, and you will realize its not that bad.

The CANbus system is not overly complicated with some basic trouble shooting experience, and an understanding of what it takes to make a computer function properly.

As far as a service manual goes, check out alldatadiy.com. It cost me 26 bucks for a one year subscription, which is an online version of the factory service manual, including DTC's, methods of trouble shooting, and all current recalls and TSBs.

Another resource to help you understand the electronic side of things would be "Computerized Engine Controls" by Steve V. Hatch.

To the OP, it honestly sounds like a bad sensor in the transmission. For it to be so explicit to set off the HOTOIL signal, thats where I would start. The code it threw makes me wonder if there is another underlying problem. Tell them you want a list of everything they did to fix the problem, for your records.

Last edited by Blakspire; 05-19-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:17 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Blakspire
Chrysler is not to blame .
Yes they are to blame, look what happened to the Mexico engine plant a bad plant with low quality, they need to guard against poor quality vendors, remember Chrysler is in business for profit ! and they can achive it buy selling quality product, no sales no profit !

Old 05-19-2012, 11:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 33 williys 77
Yes they are to blame, look what happened to the Mexico engine plant a bad plant with low quality, they need to guard against poor quality vendors, remember Chrysler is in business for profit ! and they can achive it buy selling quality product, no sales no profit !

Chrysler is not to blame for the electronics being a part of the new vehicle. The rest of the quality stuff, I totally agree with. The fact that they made the tipm with holes in the bottom that you can see the IC cards through is still making me scratch my head.

Now that I have a spare TIPM, i think some experimentation is in order!!!

Quick Reply: Hot oil light 2012 sport