Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How to check your stock gearing?

Old 10-30-2012, 07:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to check your stock gearing?

I'm sure this is an over asked question but I could not seem to find an answer. How can I check what gearing I have in my differential. I have an 09 jk x and looked on my pumpkins and neither of them had any numbers on them that resembled gearing ratio so I wasn't sure if there was another way without opening up the difs.

Thanks in advance,
Mark
Old 10-30-2012, 07:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Email Jeep/Chrysler @ customerassist@chrysler.com
Provide you year/make/model and VIN and request a build list. Every option on your JK will be listed.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:38 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by SoutheastOffroader
I'm sure this is an over asked question but I could not seem to find an answer. How can I check what gearing I have in my differential. I have an 09 jk x and looked on my pumpkins and neither of them had any numbers on them that resembled gearing ratio so I wasn't sure if there was another way without opening up the difs.

Thanks in advance,
Mark
A build sheet may not reflect what's in the diff if it's a previously owned vehicle.
If you want to know for sure what you have, or just want a real answer that doesn't come through your computer keyboard, you can...

Jack up a tire and rotate it two revolutions while you count the drive shaft revolutions. That number will be your ring and pinion ratio.

Quick Reply: How to check your stock gearing?