Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How do I remove TPMS modules from rims?

Old 10-04-2010, 10:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I remove TPMS modules from rims?

I have upgraded my rims and want to remove the rubber stemmed TPMS modules from my old 16 inch steel wheels so that I can try to sell them separately. Does anyone know how I can take them off without damaging them? Thanks.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the tires are not installed use a 12mm wrench or crescent wrench to remove the hex nut on the outside of the rim. The original caps can be left on. Grab the sensor and pull down. The base of the stem holds the sensor in position. Around the stem there is a metal collar with an O-Ring on top of it. This should all come off with the sensor toward the inside of the wheel.

If the tires are still mounted and inflated let me know. You can probably break the bead and get the sensor out in your garage or driveway.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:31 AM
JK Newbie

That was how the metal one's went on the new rims. I am trying to take off the rubber ones and don't see any nut?

PS I have already sold the tires and the wheels are fully exposed.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:02 AM
JK Super Freak

In that case there should be a screw going up through the sensor into the stem.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:44 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks. I can get the sensor off now but I am stuck with the valve stem. Does the inside and outside sections separate or does it somehow pull through?
Old 10-05-2010, 06:31 AM
JK Super Freak

If it's rubber it is done. The stem and sensor are assembled as a unit and the whole thing is pulled into the rim. I haven't found a rubber valve stem that can be reused. If the sensor is off, just grab the rubber stem with a pair of pliers and yank it out.

Where did you get the rubber valve stem? I have been looking for a part number but I haven't been able to find a listing of suitable rubber stems. I know the sensor is 28155, the stem is 20020 and the service kit is 20013. What is the RUBBER valve stem?
Old 10-06-2010, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

The rubber stem came on the stock jeep tires. It is a 2010 JK Sport.

Quick Reply: How do I remove TPMS modules from rims?