Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How do you remove front stock bumper?

Old 01-21-2010, 02:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do you remove front stock bumper?

Anyone know how to start the process of removing stock front bumper on 2008 JK?

It would be a big help

Bout to mount my Smitty SRC Bumper......
Old 01-21-2010, 02:26 PM
JK Super Freak

unhook the light harnesses if your bumper has them, just pinch the clip and pull the two parts apart, it takes a bit of force. Then to find the bolts holding on the actual bumper, follow the two frame rails to the bumper. There should be 4 bolts holding the bumper onto each of the frame rails, making a total of 8 bolts. these are put on pretty well but crank em off and your bumper should come right off.

Of and youll need to take off that stupid plastic air damn, just break the clips and take it off, you ont be reusing it, especially with a nice new bumper like the one youre putting on
Old 01-21-2010, 02:29 PM
JK Super Freak

for pictures and a better understanding, follow this link. Its not for your new bumper installation but it shows how to take off your current stock one.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...g+front+bumper
Old 01-21-2010, 02:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by So_Cal_Tay_12
for pictures and a better understanding, follow this link. Its not for your new bumper installation but it shows how to take off your current stock one.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...g+front+bumper
Thanks bro that link helps.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Lucky you. I got my new xhd setup on thw way. Should be here tomorrow. BUT... Yesterday i had my hernia suegery...so i have to wait a few weeks before i can install. And in case your wondering... Had to buy my xhd stuff now because of a great deal with free shipping.

Please post pics when done!
Old 01-21-2010, 05:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those bolts are a pain in the *** to get off. Make sure you lube them with WD40 real good well before you try and losen them
Old 01-21-2010, 05:50 PM
JK Freak

I just did this tonight to mount my new LoD front bumper. The plastic screw things that hold on the air dam. I know they have a phillips head screw set in them, but I can't for the life of me figure out why. They don't do shit. Find a pry bar and pop them out, don't waste your time turning them. One was so bad I actually ripped the plastic skid plate instead of popping the holder out.

Getting the 8 bolts out took a bit of yoga, but wasn't too bad. And yes, they stay "tight" until they are ready to fall off.

In the end it took more time to get the plastic air dam off than it did for the bumper to hit the floor.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

how important is that damn air dam? i still have my new bumper that has fogs and hooks. had em for...almost a year and still no install.

i've taken them off before, but just kinda looked at it. hahaha

i want to put the bumper on!

also had a question about the fogs. factory fogs. what do i need to use em? switches and everything. only has the fogs with housing. no wires coming out of them.

(sorry to jack the thread)
Old 01-22-2010, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

I have the same question about the fog lights I just took my stock bumper off and replaced it with a rubicon bumper that has the lights and hooks! Is there a wire harness I can buy or do I just need to wire them my self? As far as that air dam goes I see alot of people on here running without it. I didnt put mine back on because Im going to be installing a winch behind my bumper soon.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:50 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

unless your jeep had them from the factory, you dont have the harness, you'll need to wire them yourself.

If you want them to operate off the stalk like factory, then you can buy the harness/wiring to do so (I think) without the fogs. full kit shown here: http://www.quadratec.com/products/97047_1001.htm

Or wire them to a relay/switch yourself (cheaper option)

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 01-22-2010 at 07:56 AM.

Quick Reply: How do you remove front stock bumper?