Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Water pump woes.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump woes.

I've got an 08 with 50000 and I've noticed the water pump is beginning to leak. Anyone tackled this job before. Auto zone has the pump for $40.00. I have average mechanic skills but would like to know what all has to be removed on the engine. Any info would help. Thanks.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

It is a easy job. If you have average mechanic skills it will be no problem. The Jk has electric a electric fan, so no fan clutch to remove. Remove your serpentine belt, and then unbolt the water pump.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can I ask - where is your pump leaking?

I've been watching the gasket weeping for a few months now. It quited down after snugging up the bolts, but has since started again. Curious to know where yours is leaking.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

FYI if you have the unlimited power train warranty the water pump is covered.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine seems to be leaking somewhere around the bottom almost around the back of the pulley. I've been smelling antifreeze for a while now. Looking at the bottom of the engine I have some crusty dried antifreeze around the oil pan. Also is it worth changing the antifreeze to the green kind and getting rid of the red/orange type that's in it. Didn't that kind end up attacking aluminum parts. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Water pump woes.