Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How to locate and reach the Starter/Starter Solenoid on a 2010 JK?

Old 11-21-2010, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to locate and reach the Starter/Starter Solenoid on a 2010 JK?

Hi,

I've seen a couple of threads about problems starting the JKs. Mine's have done it a couple of times. Turned the key, one engine rev and then nothing. After waiting a few minutes it starts kind of vague but starts nonetheless.

Today it happened and smoke started to come out of the driver side of the engine. I'm thinking that it has to do something with the starter so I want to locate it and know how to reach it (what parts I have to take to get there). I want to see if there's any signs of something burned or damaged.

Thanks for any help!
Old 11-21-2010, 04:57 PM
JK Freak

Haven't looked under my Jeep for it -- no need to at this point but should be really easy on the Jeep. Hop underneath the thing and look for it at the back of engine and front of the transmission bell housing.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:04 PM
JK Freak

I think it's under the driver's side exhaust manifold. There is a heat shield around it.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:23 AM
JK Freak

Default starter motor

i changed mine at the beginning of the summer.

driver side
behind driver side wheel
under heat shield

it's very small for the size of vehicle. only held in by 2 bolts. straight forward swap, bu t i had trouble finding one so i just got a local guy to rebuild it for me for a few.

not that hard to change, pretty straight forward. good luck!

Quick Reply: How to locate and reach the Starter/Starter Solenoid on a 2010 JK?