Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How many have lifter noise?

Old 12-11-2010, 02:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many have lifter noise?

After getting my engine replaced 3000 miles ago, my lifters are ticking again. I noticed that my parent's Town and Country with a 3.3 engine has the same noise but worse. My old engine had the same noise as well.

Is lifter noise just normal on our engine's? My lifters are only 3000 miles old, so there is absolutely no way they are gummed up yet...
Old 12-14-2010, 05:18 AM
JK Newbie

why was your engine replaced, was what caused it to need replacing fixed first?

Originally Posted by Dronac
After getting my engine replaced 3000 miles ago, my lifters are ticking again. I noticed that my parent's Town and Country with a 3.3 engine has the same noise but worse. My old engine had the same noise as well.

Is lifter noise just normal on our engine's? My lifters are only 3000 miles old, so there is absolutely no way they are gummed up yet...
Old 12-14-2010, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

Bearing was almost toast and the lifters were making noise, so they replaced the entire shortblock, lifters, and just about every seal and gasket on the engine, along with a disassembly and inspection of everything that wasn't outright replaced... It only had 30000 miles on it. Now I'm worried about the 3.8's being complete junk now that I'v had the noise growing louder since I went past 2000 miles since the rebuild.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:38 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

I have heard hydraulic lifter noise on lots of engines that never had a problem.
The whole idea behind hydraulic lifters is to remove the slack in the valve train, thereby minimizing the noise.

I would say valve noise isn't normal, since most JKs don't do it, including mine.
That doesn't mean it's harmful, though, if not too loud. Engines with solid lifters make noise by design with no ill effects.

There is always the chance what you (or others) are hearing is the injectors clicking.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I have heard hydraulic lifter noise on lots of engines that never had a problem.
The whole idea behind hydraulic lifters is to remove the slack in the valve train, thereby minimizing the noise.

I would say valve noise isn't normal, since most JKs don't do it, including mine.
That doesn't mean it's harmful, though, if not too loud. Engines with solid lifters make noise by design with no ill effects.

There is always the chance what you (or others) are hearing is the injectors clicking.
Is there a noise associated with filling the lifters on morning starts? At 25-35 seconds, I hear about 10-20 seconds of loud-ish rattling. Also, I put a screwdriver to the valve covers, and one bank is defiantly louder then the other. Could be injectors, but I wouldn't think they would grow to audible levels at 30-40mph.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:11 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Is there a noise associated with filling the lifters on morning starts? At 25-35 seconds, I hear about 10-20 seconds of loud-ish rattling. Also, I put a screwdriver to the valve covers, and one bank is defiantly louder then the other. Could be injectors, but I wouldn't think they would grow to audible levels at 30-40mph.
Yes, but it should be very brief, at the beginning of running the engine.
If you are getting valve noise while driving, there must be something wrong.

With all the people getting valve noise, maybe they should install an oil pressure gauge to see if low pressure is involved.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

Loved having it (oil pressure reading) on my XJs. It would vary between different oil filters and different brands.

Quick Reply: How many have lifter noise?