Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

how much weight is too much weight?

Old 01-01-2008, 12:57 PM
mt3
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much weight is too much weight?

... pertaining to the spare tire mount ... i have a spare tire mounted snowboard rack .... i worry it is a lot of weight on the mount and rear gate ..

how much is our spare tire mount rated to carry? has anyone had a problem with this? ... be it a rack or bigger heavier spare tires? ....

thanks!
Old 01-01-2008, 11:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how much weight is too much weight?

HEY AT BEST SNOW BOARDS 4 TO 7# EACH X 4 BOARDS STEEL RACK ANOTHER 15 TO 20# STOCK 17" WHEEL&TIRE 85# THE MOUNT SHOULD HOLD IT LIKE THE OTHER GUY SAID I HAVE SEEN 35" MOUNTED ON IT AND THEY GOT TO BE 130# I WOULD BE MORE WORRIED ABOUT THE DOOR BUSHING WEARING OUT OVER TIME BUT IF I WERE ABLE TO SPEND YOUR MONEY I WOULD LOOK INTO A ROOF RACK OR AFTER MARKET BUMPER W/TIRE CARRIER lllll
Old 01-02-2008, 07:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have any answers here (since my JK is hardly 2 weeks old), but I am curious as well. I quickly realized that my 2dr will have no cargo space once the second passenger climbs in. I think the over the spare carriers look cool, but weight capacity is the obvious question. Bestop's carrier is rated at 75lbs... but I find that hard to believe without the rear door falling off.

Quick Reply: how much weight is too much weight?