Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How to Overide Sentry Key Stater Problem

Old 07-09-2008, 08:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking How to Overide Sentry Key Starter Problem

OK, had the JK at the stealership for a total of around two weeks...

The problem...Sometimes...the jeep won't start, no cranking, nothing, but every thing else works fine.

The wife drives it....it won't start, battery's ok, etc...they tow it in..."Fix it"...we get it back...it strands her at work, they tow it AGAIN....they "FIX" it again...we get it back, it won't start in our driveway...they tow it.....again....they fix it, again....we go to pick it up, it won't start...in the stealership's service parking lot...they DO NOT have to tow it this time...we just keep the loaner. That was LAST WEEK.

They spent "Days" in contact with Chrysler...and, the verdict...its not always fixable...its just a built-in problem....and a few JK's have it...and "Chrysler is working on a solution ASAP" (Selling Jeep?)

The solution if this happens to YOU, and you DO NOT feel like going through this agonizing process?

Pull the firiggin fuse for 30 seconds....then push it back in...and its cured, at least so you can start it, THIS TIME.

Here's my crappy write up:

1. Open the hood, find the fuse box next to the battery, open it.

2. There's a large white fuse case with two little 60 amp blade fuses in it....pull up the white part, leave it up for 30 seconds.

3. Push the white part back down, close the box and hood, start the jeep.

The fuse box next to the battery

Push the two little tabs in to open the top of the fuse box

The location of that white fuse you pull, next to a large yellow fuse you don't.

Close up (Blurry) of white fuse next to yellow fuse....I wrote on the fuse so my wife could tell which one if she had to.

I hope this saves some poor soul a few tows when it would have been a bad time, etc.

If anything's still unclear...feel free to ask.

Last edited by TEEJ; 07-09-2008 at 09:29 PM. Reason: double posted trying to move thread/fix spelling of "Starter" in thread title....
Old 07-09-2008, 09:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good one...that happened to me before with my old Unlimited X...I had disconnected the whole battery.

Your way is quicker.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TEEJ

Pull the firiggin fuse for 30 seconds....then push it back in...and its cured, at least so you can start it, THIS TIME.

Okay, older thread but I owe you a beer, Teej.

Have had my '08 almost a month and it happened to me last night. Had my wife come and get me & I left it in the grocery store parking lot. I was near a dealer so I was thinking of taking it to them in the morning. Jumped on google and found this thread. Went back & got the Jeep. Found the TSB and it say's you only need to pull it for 10 seconds, but I did it for 60.

Anyway, you ROCK!

Jer
Old 03-17-2011, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TEEJ
OK, had the JK at the stealership for a total of around two weeks...

The problem...Sometimes...the jeep won't start, no cranking, nothing, but every thing else works fine.

The wife drives it....it won't start, battery's ok, etc...they tow it in..."Fix it"...we get it back...it strands her at work, they tow it AGAIN....they "FIX" it again...we get it back, it won't start in our driveway...they tow it.....again....they fix it, again....we go to pick it up, it won't start...in the stealership's service parking lot...they DO NOT have to tow it this time...we just keep the loaner. That was LAST WEEK.

They spent "Days" in contact with Chrysler...and, the verdict...its not always fixable...its just a built-in problem....and a few JK's have it...and "Chrysler is working on a solution ASAP" (Selling Jeep?)

The solution if this happens to YOU, and you DO NOT feel like going through this agonizing process?

Here's my crappy write up:

1. Open the hood, find the fuse box next to the battery, open it.

2. There's a large white fuse case with two little 60 amp blade fuses in it....pull up the white part, leave it up for 30 seconds.

3. Push the white part back down, close the box and hood, start the jeep.

The fuse box next to the battery

Push the two little tabs in to open the top of the fuse box

The location of that white fuse you pull, next to a large yellow fuse you don't.

Close up (Blurry) of white fuse next to yellow fuse....I wrote on the fuse so my wife could tell which one if she had to.

I hope this saves some poor soul a few tows when it would have been a bad time, etc.

If anything's still unclear...feel free to ask.

Thanks for the info, great write-up !!!

SLIM
Old 03-17-2011, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had this problem on another Chrysler vehicle. I'd get it towed in, and then it would start when the mechanic had it. In that case disconnecting the battery didn't help. I was convinced it had something to do with the stupid anti-theft chip in the key.

No problems on my JK yet, but it's good to know that this would solve it, if it did happen.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Deviations
I had this problem on another Chrysler vehicle. I'd get it towed in, and then it would start when the mechanic had it. In that case disconnecting the battery didn't help. I was convinced it had something to do with the stupid anti-theft chip in the key.

No problems on my JK yet, but it's good to know that this would solve it, if it did happen.
Yeah, it's a Chrysler issue. Here are the vehicles affected:
MODELS:
2007 - 2008 (DR/DH/D1/DC/DM) Ram Truck (1500/2500/3500/4500/5500)
2007 - 2008 (JK) Wrangler
2007 - 2008 (J1) Sebring (China)
2007 - 2008 (JS) Avenger/Sebring
2007 - 2008 (KA) Nitro
2008 (KK) Liberty/Cherokee
2007 - 2008 (MK) Compass/Patriot
2007 - 2008 (PM) Caliber
2006 - 2008 (PT) Chrysler PT Cruiser
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before May 05, 2008 (MDH
0505XX).
This is from the TSB I found posted on Project-JK here.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:17 AM
JK Freak

Knock on wood, I have been lucky so far.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

I was told by a service advisor that even if the procedure in the TSB were followed, it could still happen. Basically, static discharge (ESD) knocks the wireless control module off line. I think it has more to do with the rubber coating on the keys. Walking to my Jeep, I've noticed I grab the key, subconsciously rub the key and get a zap (sometimes) when I put it in the ignition. Think I might take some Plasti-dip to the key to resist building up a charge.

Deviations - I don't think this was your problem as removing juice to the module resets it allowing it to come back online.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JerryD
I was told by a service advisor that even if the procedure in the TSB were followed, it could still happen. Basically, static discharge (ESD) knocks the wireless control module off line. I think it has more to do with the rubber coating on the keys. Walking to my Jeep, I've noticed I grab the key, subconsciously rub the key and get a zap (sometimes) when I put it in the ignition. Think I might take some Plasti-dip to the key to resist building up a charge.

Deviations - I don't think this was your problem as removing juice to the module resets it allowing it to come back online.
Mine was a 2002. Nothing worse than walking to your vehicle, not knowing of it was going to strand you....
Old 04-30-2013, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

My jeep is 2008 rubicon unlimited, does this to me all the time. Yet I have not had this work for me. Any other ideas? Tried this 3 times and the jeep just starts when ever it decides to.

Quick Reply: How to Overide Sentry Key Stater Problem