Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How to remove stubborn ball joints?

Old 10-17-2012, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a air impact wrench it will help and keep the press from bending. It needs to be in the 300 lbs to 600 lbs range. I good ingersol-rand model or something like it.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:45 AM
JK Freak

I don't have an air impact wrench. The 36" breaker bar worked as well. Now that I think about it, I think it bent because the press wasn't going in straight when I tried to push out the top ball joint. The underneath of top C is angled and requires an angled tube on the bottom, or spacers, which I didn't use. That put the press in a crooked position and bent under torque from the 36" breaker bar. I used spacers (a couple washers) when I was pressing new ball joint in. I saw it was gonna do the same thing, and wasn't angled straight without spacers.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Opposite problem for me, I got the top out after the center "bolt just pushed right through the top first. Then a socket underneath and it finally stopped fighting.

It's the bottom one for me that won't come loose. I tried liberal amounts of WD40, I tried heating the spindle with a torch. I've tightened the press as far as I dare. It's brand new and I borrowed it from a friend who sells tools. It cost $287 for the set, so I don't want to destroy it. I'm afraid it's starting to bend as well.

I'm about ready to take a grinder to the top of the ball joint and just start grinding it away bit by bit until the press can get it to move.

Anyone with ANY other suggestions? I need these things out now.

Tom
Old 12-09-2017, 10:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Spud Racer
Opposite problem for me, I got the top out after the center "bolt just pushed right through the top first. Then a socket underneath and it finally stopped fighting.

It's the bottom one for me that won't come loose. I tried liberal amounts of WD40, I tried heating the spindle with a torch. I've tightened the press as far as I dare. It's brand new and I borrowed it from a friend who sells tools. It cost $287 for the set, so I don't want to destroy it. I'm afraid it's starting to bend as well.

I'm about ready to take a grinder to the top of the ball joint and just start grinding it away bit by bit until the press can get it to move.

Anyone with ANY other suggestions? I need these things out now.

Tom
Just ordered new BJs for my 09 JKU. I've been reading up a bit on changing them and looking at possible problems. One post I read about them not wanting to come out was to tighten the press on the BJ as hard as possible and then giving the outside of the C, beside the BJ, a good whack with a big hammer. Should shock it enough to break it free.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by locked&loaded JK
Just ordered new BJs for my 09 JKU. I've been reading up a bit on changing them and looking at possible problems. One post I read about them not wanting to come out was to tighten the press on the BJ as hard as possible and then giving the outside of the C, beside the BJ, a good whack with a big hammer. Should shock it enough to break it free.
I did some YouTube watching and found my error. Really quite stupid of me. I was trying to press the bottom ball joint upward because, frankly, it looked like it comes up to be removed. Once I started pressing it downward I got it out. I hate showing my stupidity, but if it helps someone else, then it's worth the humility and shame.

Just like everyone said, I put it under a great deal of pressure with the press, then gave it a good solid whack and voila, puff of rust dust and it moved. From there it was more of the same, pressure/ whack, pressure/ whack and eventually the press did the rest.

I painted the C with flat black rustoleum and the same to the spindle to keep rust under control. Now all is back together and I am right with the world.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PC090105(1).jpg
Views:	134
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	676349

Tom (leaving the US in 2 weeks starting my trip back to Papua New Guinea for another 3-5 years)
Old 12-10-2017, 03:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by locked&loaded JK
I've started this thread 5 years ago and I have since had to replace the ball joints a second time. I can tell you 100% that you are correct with tightening up hard (with a 36" breaker bar), then giving it a few smacks with a hammer. If you keep pressing it with a press, you are bound to bend one like I did...I bent 2 of these until I learned my mistake. After replacing them a couple of times, this job doesn't seem to be too bad. Just need to have the right tools and some experience helps.

Last edited by TheTerminator; 12-10-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default BFH and patience

ive done three sets now on various vehicles of different ages, the thing that ALWAYS gets them out is do a few cranks on the press, then smack the C with a hammer, a few more cranks, smack the C. occasionally some are harder to remove than others, but then get a bigger hammer. Ive broken a few presses trying to just force without a smack and learned my lesson, Super scary when a press snaps in half
Old 12-11-2017, 06:14 AM
JK Freak

I just changed mine again this weekend, i can tell you get the Jeep specific adapters will make removing and installing much easier. We used a pickle fork to help separate the knuckle from the ball joints, a couple of hits on the fork then a couple of hits on the knuckle and they were off. It took us less than 2hrs to complete the job.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spud Racer
I did some YouTube watching and found my error. Really quite stupid of me. I was trying to press the bottom ball joint upward because, frankly, it looked like it comes up to be removed. Once I started pressing it downward I got it out. I hate showing my stupidity, but if it helps someone else, then it's worth the humility and shame.

Just like everyone said, I put it under a great deal of pressure with the press, then gave it a good solid whack and voila, puff of rust dust and it moved. From there it was more of the same, pressure/ whack, pressure/ whack and eventually the press did the rest.

I painted the C with flat black rustoleum and the same to the spindle to keep rust under control. Now all is back together and I am right with the world.

Tom (leaving the US in 2 weeks starting my trip back to Papua New Guinea for another 3-5 years)
I'll be doing this soon for the first time as well, so I appreciate you not having felt too embarrassed to share your experience. That sounds like something I would do also and I'm glad I read your comment before getting into it. Good idea on the Rustoleum too.

Seems like a lot of useful learnings have been shared on this thread. I appreciate all of the info.

Quick Reply: How to remove stubborn ball joints?