Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How's that MOPAR touch up paint?

Old 05-29-2013, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How's that MOPAR touch up paint?

I just picked up my JK yesterday and it seems like someone in the past couple owners wasn't too soft on it. I was wanting some opinions if it was worth taking it to a body shop, or just ordering some MOPAR touch-up paint. Any experiences with it? I'm very careful with my Jeep, and don't do alot of off-roading, so to me it might be worth it. Also I don't plan on replacing the fenders as I love the painted ones. Any tips on how to fix the front grille, those bugs over the years and pebbles haven't been nice to it, along with the front fenders. The rear passenger fender was swiped pretty good by something, and is my biggest flaw I'd love to see patched. I just couldn't see touch up paint filling the grooves the scratch made. If the MOPAR paint does a good job thought I'd go with it, and just use some sort of filler first.
Click image for larger version

Name:	grille chips.jpg
Views:	1232
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	462844Click image for larger version

Name:	fender chips.jpg
Views:	1053
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	462845Click image for larger version

Name:	fender scrape.jpg
Views:	848
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	462846Click image for larger version

Name:	smallchips.jpg
Views:	834
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	462847
There's a dent too I'm not sure how I'd work out that's on the gate. Along with the trademark Cowl dent.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0228.jpg
Views:	809
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	462848
While we're at it, any good matches to the hard-top color? Mine's got some chips all along the edges.

And before anyone says it, I know it's a Jeep and these are just battle scars that come with it, but I really would like to make and keep it babied and dent & scratch free.

I appreciate any & all suggestions
Old 05-29-2013, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Before anything, I would use a good cleaner wax. Some of that may come out or disappear enough that it won't bother you. The Mopar touch up works good for touch up, but not a good choice to repaint an entire area. If you plan on going off road, you will be dealing with imperfections anyways.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:41 PM
JK Newbie

I bought some of the touch up paint (commando green) as I have some similar scratches on the front fenders and a rock chip or 2. It comes with a finger nail polish type brush and a pen tip(which does not work). The paint is very runny and does not seem to fill rock chips very well, I basically brushed it on and dabbed it with a piece of paper towel to try to get it to fill in the scratch. If you have a lot of area to cover, I would say get it sprayed at a paint shop. IMHO, I will probably do that when the time comes.

2013 JKUR, 2.5 teraflex, 17x9 V-Tech, Banks cold air, Gibson cat back, 315/70/17 duratrac, RR mod bumper, RR 8500 lbs
Old 05-29-2013, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by finnsisu
I bought some of the touch up paint (commando green) as I have some similar scratches on the front fenders and a rock chip or 2. It comes with a finger nail polish type brush and a pen tip(which does not work). The paint is very runny and does not seem to fill rock chips very well, I basically brushed it on and dabbed it with a piece of paper towel to try to get it to fill in the scratch. If you have a lot of area to cover, I would say get it sprayed at a paint shop. IMHO, I will probably do that when the time comes.

2013 JKUR, 2.5 teraflex, 17x9 V-Tech, Banks cold air, Gibson cat back, 315/70/17 duratrac, RR mod bumper, RR 8500 lbs

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Before anything, I would use a good cleaner wax. Some of that may come out or disappear enough that it won't bother you. The Mopar touch up works good for touch up, but not a good choice to repaint an entire area. If you plan on going off road, you will be dealing with imperfections anyways.
I detailed it today, will probably be taking to the shop. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2013, 05:56 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by NLangan

I detailed it today, will probably be taking to the shop. Thanks!
That's what I would suggest, the shop. I've got a pretty gnarly swipe mark on my front right, from turning into my awening pole too widely.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Touching up paint, believe it or not, is an acquired skill. Novices like us find it very hard to get the paint to match flush with the original paint. Some of the pro's who do this for a living make an absolute fortune because they make the problem completely disappear. I watched a guy do it once it's really quite impressive.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:42 PM
JK Newbie

Here is the hard top touch up paint:

http://www.amazon.com/Wrangler-BLACK.../dp/B004TC3D18

Good luck!
Old 05-31-2013, 12:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I agree. We had a little accident with the hard top and scratched the jeep a good 8 inch. I went to a paint dealer like ppg and bought a good compound and wax and with in a matter of maybe spending 30 min I could tell it was going away. Good luck.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:54 AM
JK Super Freak

I would use a compound and a da polisher or by hand. I would get as much of the blemishes out as possible and then see what your working with. it may take a few passes with the compound to remove any defects but when your done seal it up with some wax. could save you some money in the long run.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by big c
I would use a compound and a da polisher or by hand. I would get as much of the blemishes out as possible and then see what your working with. it may take a few passes with the compound to remove any defects but when your done seal it up with some wax. could save you some money in the long run.
What kinda compound are you guys talking about? Link? Thx

Quick Reply: How's that MOPAR touch up paint?