Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hydrolock threw 7 codes

Old 07-24-2017, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydrolock threw 7 codes

So when I went wheeling this past weekend I unfortunately made the mistake of going in a puddle I shouldn't have and ended up hydrolockiny my engine. After pulling the spark plugs to blow the water out and changing he oil twice, I'm throwing 7 codes.

P0300
P000D
P0018
P0345
B1644
B16FD
B16F9

My question is where do you think I should start. Right now I am looking at probably replacing the spark plugs and maybe the coil packs. The last three codes for electrical issues in not as worried about right now, I'm mostly looking for advice on the first 4.

And yes, I know I was dumb to hydrolock the engine.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost sounds like you got whole bunch of electrical shorted out? How long since you've been in the water? ECU ?
Old 07-24-2017, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Happened Saturday early afternoon.
I just cleared the codes and have had the jeep idle for a bit. Engine sound a little off but so far have not had any codes return. I know my fogs are grounded as the wires were cut.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

If you actually "hydrauliced" the engine you will have one or more bent connecting rods. A compression test will reveal if that is the case.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 63expert
If you actually "hydrauliced" the engine you will have one or more bent connecting rods. A compression test will reveal if that is the case.
I figure if he did actually hydro he'd report sounds like a tractor though rough running might be a bit of a concern.

Back to the topic ar hand - did you have any water past the air filter? Change oil again - check for milky residue.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Air filter was soaked, water all through intake and on throttle body.
I'm planning on dropping the whole oil pan this Saturday and changing the oil again. It doesn't sound like a tractor when running, but I will look into getting a compression test done.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yikes... You do sound like you have a more serious problem.... How long was it running under water before it stalled?
Old 07-24-2017, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Stalled almost immediately
Old 07-24-2017, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like sorta pregnant anyways - I'd be concerned at this point about internals over externals. Don't run it too much prior to a compression check. After you stalled it did you pull all plugs and crank it over a few times immediately or did you first try to start it?
I was wheeling with a buddy and he stalled almost immediately when in a puddle then he tried to start it twice.... A stroker later he is up and running again.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Tried to start it once before we pulled all the plugs. It was able to crank with the plugs out and spit out the water.
Compression check will be Saturday and I will probably use that as a good opportunity to change the spark plugs as well.

Quick Reply: Hydrolock threw 7 codes