JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   I am 28 and have been changing oil since I was 16... (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/i-am-28-have-been-changing-oil-since-i-16-a-42644/)

JulietKilo 05-31-2008 04:29 PM

I am 28 and have been changing oil since I was 16...

My Jeep hit 2500 miles today and the CHANgE OiL light scrolled across the screen on my dash.

SO I changed the oil. Guess what the new Jeeps have permanant mounted oil filters. Amoung that the oil is under 100 psi when you take the oil plug off and oil shoots half the lenght of the Jeep and missed the oil catch pan. I have never in my life made such a mess in my garage. The biggest problem was that most oil filters have little residual oil in them. When I finally got it removed oil came spewing all over my front axle and down the side of the oil pan in the front. That isnt the worst part... The filter would not budge at any angle I approached it. Stupid new jeeps must have those things turned tight by a machine at the factory. This thing would not BUDGE! I GOT A BIG HAMMER A SCREWDRIVE AND DROVE A STEAK INTO THE HEART OF THAT BEAST, IT WAS A BLOODY OR SHOULD I SAY OILY MESS!

I have always thought that people that use a screwdriver to remove the oil filter were redneck good ole' country boys. Until today. I did it and it worked but I made an oil spill that will take the EPA to clean up.

:gak:

TINMAN080 05-31-2008 04:55 PM

Tough Filter

Gosh, it sounds like the filter gasket had not been lubed at the assembly plant. These side mount filters hold about 40% of their volume once the engine shuts down. The 6 quart oil pans seem to drain the oil under a lot of pressure, maybe it's the extra quart's weight causing it to shoot out faster. Glad it didn't get in your eyes.......I bought a set of filter pliers with the large round jaws and the little teeth, I didn't like them, never used them 'til I got the
JK and realised they were perfect for the front mount oil filter on the 3.8. I lean over the radiator and grab ahold of that hussy and twist her loose.....:thumbsup:

TINMAN080 05-31-2008 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by JulietKilo (Post 528919)
My Jeep hit 2500 miles today and the CHANgE OiL light scrolled across the screen on my dash.

SO I changed the oil. Guess what the new Jeeps have permanant mounted oil filters. Amoung that the oil is under 100 psi when you take the oil plug off and oil shoots half the lenght of the Jeep and missed the oil catch pan. I have never in my life made such a mess in my garage. The biggest problem was that most oil filters have little residual oil in them. When I finally got it removed oil came spewing all over my front axle and down the side of the oil pan in the front. That isnt the worst part... The filter would not budge at any angle I approached it. Stupid new jeeps must have those things turned tight by a machine at the factory. This thing would not BUDGE! I GOT A BIG HAMMER A SCREWDRIVE AND DROVE A STEAK INTO THE HEART OF THAT BEAST, IT WAS A BLOODY OR SHOULD I SAY OILY MESS!

I have always thought that people that use a screwdriver to remove the oil filter were redneck good ole' country boys. Until today. I did it and it worked but I made an oil spill that will take the EPA to clean up.

:gak:

Having serviced about half a zillion 130's overseas in the early sevenies could it be that your garage now looks like the wheel well of a 130?:rotflmao2::rotflmao2:ex- CLARK AFB transit maintnance 6200 FMS,18TH SOS NKP THAILAND,

ronjenx 05-31-2008 05:04 PM

I am 56 and have also been changing oil since I was 16. I found nothing different or unexpected about changing the oil on my '08 Rubi. Oil always flows from the drain plug as if under pressure. The last few years, I have been using a Pella oil extractor. Much more pleasant to use. As for the filter, I have a section of old serpentine belt I use with a pair of water pump pliers as a strap wrench. I change the filter while the extractor is drawing the oil from the oil pan.

Keith615 05-31-2008 05:05 PM

Ironically I experienced the exact same thing today. I thought for sure the Jeep was going to lurch forward from the thrust of the oil coming out the back of the pan. :eek2:

And as it turns out I did not have a strap wrench or a filter wrench small enough to fit the filter. I did manage to muscle it off by hand but it took a good 20 minutes. :tearsdrip: Normally whent I have to resort to that kind of tactic, once the filter starts to spin it normally comes right off. However, I'll bet that thing went a good half turn before it loosened. :cursing:

I was moments away from driving a screwdriver through it.... :rollingeyes:

At least the top of the axle housing has some good rust protection now. :LOL:

JulietKilo 05-31-2008 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by TINMAN080 (Post 528941)
Having serviced about half a zillion 130's overseas in the early sevenies could it be that your garage now looks like the wheel well of a 130?:rotflmao2::rotflmao2:ex- CLARK AFB transit maintnance 6200 FMS,18TH SOS NKP THAILAND,

NO KIDDING, there isnt a day that goes by when I fly I am reporting a leak somewhere on that archaic fat bird (C-130)

JulietKilo 05-31-2008 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Keith615 (Post 528944)
At least the top of the axle housing has some good rust protection now. :LOL:

My screwdrivers, Craftsman Mechanics 200 Piece $$$, driveway, dozen shop rags, and my 22 month old... all now have rust protection. :rotflmao2::rotflmao2::rotflmao2:

JulietKilo 05-31-2008 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by TINMAN080 (Post 528937)
Gosh, it sounds like the filter gasket had not been lubed at the assembly plant.

O yeah... I forgot to mention when i finally got the filter off the gasket was still on the machined part of the block, that sucker was stuck as if someone had glude the oil filter gasket on there. :rollingeyes:

The_Captain 05-31-2008 05:53 PM

geez

You may double check and make sure that some asshat at the factory didn't misthread you oil filter.... And I havent heard of the pressurized thing... Sorry to ask, but you did have the fill cap off? I sometimes forget myself.....

ronjenx 05-31-2008 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by The_Captain (Post 528980)
You may double check and make sure that some asshat at the factory didn't misthread you oil filter.... And I havent heard of the pressurized thing... Sorry to ask, but you did have the fill cap off? I sometimes forget myself.....

Just referring to how the oil shoots out horizontally at first due to head pressure. The top surface of the oil is several inches above the drain plug, therefore it has some head pressure.