Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I am 28 and have been changing oil since I was 16...

Old 06-01-2008, 12:38 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by adaycj
I think the oil shoots out faster because it is 5w20. My Ford truck (sold) used the same oil and had the same drain pattern.

The engines at the factory do not get the oil filter gasket surface lubed before assembly. I've worked in several DCX (now Chrysler) engine plants and not one of them had any process to lube the filter or gasket surface. And the filters in the rack at that station are dry.
I use a washing machine overflow pan as a drip pan with a drain pan on top. They have them at Home Depot or other such home places. It has a perfect height lip that will catch all your messes, but still allow you to reach around it. It is acceptably huge, but still fits between the wheels of any car, truck, SUV, or Jeep. It is also cheap.
Good thought on the reason being 5W20.
And good info right from a valid source. You were there; you would know.
Please make a list of other fun-to-know facts on factory engine assembly and post them.
Or, start a thread and take questions.

Last edited by ronjenx; 06-01-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of those nice to know things...............I dislike cleaning up my garage floor. The first time I changed the oil in my Ram 5.9 diesel I just about choked........what is it...13 litres of oil in that engine? Anyway after removing the oil pan nut and watching a black Niagara Falls.........I looked at the pan and just prayed that it wasn't going to overflow...........in the end I think the flow stopped about a 1/2 inch from the top of the pan.......whew. Black sooty oil over my garage floor would have set me off lol.

Hey...over 7,000 hrs on the C-130 (Green Go - Load Smasher)

So..........after reading this thread I'm better prepared for my first JK oil change................it only has 1,500 mi on it now.

There can't be any pressure in the oil pan.............with the dip stick venting it..........and the oil cap removed?

Last edited by ehntr; 06-02-2008 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I know the oil pan was not under pressure, I am sure it was due to the 5w-20 weight and it being 6 quarts instead of the normal 4 (in my old pickup 3.9 dodge) or my 5 quarts in my wifes Van.

LOAD CLEAR...
Old 06-02-2008, 09:49 AM
JK Super Freak

i did mine yesterday i thought i was going to have to do the old screw driver through the filter to get if off.. but i finally got it off with some serious grip.

and my oil also shot like a rocket when i took the train plug off... had about 2 qt's on the floor in my garage.. was tons of fun..
Old 06-02-2008, 03:37 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by ehntr
One of those nice to know things...............I dislike cleaning up my garage floor. The first time I changed the oil in my Ram 5.9 diesel I just about choked........what is it...13 litres of oil in that engine? Anyway after removing the oil pan nut and watching a black Niagara Falls.........I looked at the pan and just prayed that it wasn't going to overflow...........in the end I think the flow stopped about a 1/2 inch from the top of the pan.......whew. Black sooty oil over my garage floor would have set me off lol.

Hey...over 7,000 hrs on the C-130 (Green Go - Load Smasher)

So..........after reading this thread I'm better prepared for my first JK oil change................it only has 1,500 mi on it now.

There can't be any pressure in the oil pan.............with the dip stick venting it..........and the oil cap removed?
Ah, but there IS pressure in the oil pan. The pressure created by the weight of the oil above the drain hole, as evidenced by the fact the oil comes out horizontally for a short distance at first.
Really though, I don't think any one was saying the oil pan was pressurized. All that was said is the oil came out as if under pressure; which it does.
(52000 hours working on KC-135's, and counting.)

Last edited by ronjenx; 06-02-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just did the 1st oil change on my 08' @ 5000mi.
Had the same problem with the oil filter, had to use my super strength to get it off! Then the gasket was stuck on the block.
Oil pressure wasn't that bad I have a big drain pan and allways position it towards the back, for just such an occasion.

1st time post, love this forum!
Old 06-02-2008, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
It's ironic that your filter was that tight. Jeeps have had a SLEW of them loose to the point that they will spin off with one finger.
Aha! I had one of those. Backed out of the garage the morning after delivery (and the 53 mile drive home) and had 2 qts of oil under the Jeep. At first I thought "Schnikees - it's dead already!" Then I got a hold of myself and grabbed the filter. It came off in my hand.

That robot should be outsourced...
Old 06-02-2008, 05:37 PM
JK Super Freak

I just wanted to reiterate what others have said about the gasket on the stock mopar filter from the factory. After I got it off the gasket was still stuck to the machined part of the block They seriously need to lube these things.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Hey JulietKilo,

Looks like this is somthing that alot of us JK owners have come across. I changed my oil at 1000 miles for the first time.

Now, you got to remember I have been changing my own oil for longer than you have been alive. I had to work very hard to get that stupid filter off. And like you, I then needed to get the gasket off.

Looks like something Jeep may need to look into......
Old 06-02-2008, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Good thought on the reason being 5W20.
And good info right from a valid source. You were there; you would know.
Please make a list of other fun-to-know facts on factory engine assembly and post them.
Or, start a thread and take questions.
I signed a confidentiality contract when I quit. I don't mind adding info when I can, but I won't sponsor threads or give away things about the process that I shouldn't. Honestly, I have very little data that many thousands of factory workers in North America don't already know.

I bought a Dodge Omni new. The original filter was so tight, and the gasket so smashed, the metal of the filter contacted the block around the outside of the gasket. The screwdriver trick wouldn't touch it. I gutted the entire filter and chiseled the end cap off. It took me an hour to get the filter off. Oddly that car used the same filter as the JK.

Quick Reply: I am 28 and have been changing oil since I was 16...