Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

I smell antifreeze!!

Old 05-08-2015, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I smell antifreeze!!

I've been smelling antifreeze for a couple of weeks now on my 2014 JKUS. No signs of leaks! Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 05-08-2015, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

my 2013 does this.

still have not found the leak. dealer doesnt care lol.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get under jeep and look at front of motor under the water pump. Chances are the leak is there or in that general area.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Started noticing it a couple months ago too from the outside at the front. I have not been able to find any evidence if a leak nor has my coolant level gone down. 2014 with 16000 miles on it.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

One time I had a 1986 mustang. It developed a tiny pinhole in the heater core. The hole was so small that what came out was sort of atomized. It didn't leave a puddle. I would get a super fine fog condensing on the inside of my windshield. I drove a few weeks with a roll of paper towels in the passenger seat until I could afford to fix it. The carpet never got wet. Just the superfine mist.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Feel around the carpet on the passenger side up under dash. The heater core is in that general area and if it is leaking it will make your carpet wet and you will smell it.

Unfortunately you have to pull the entirdash to change the heater core.

BUT for a temp fix just route the coolant back into the motor. I did this until winter, as you will not have any heat.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My ’14 too! Just noticed this a few days ago...didn't check water pump yet
Old 05-08-2015, 05:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by shamisc
I've been smelling antifreeze for a couple of weeks now on my 2014 JKUS. No signs of leaks! Has anyone else experienced this?
Hello,
I had a similar issue on my 2012 for almost a whole year. I never saw any dripping, but I slowly lost fluid. Finally, I parked it one day after a long climb and then came back while it was still hot. I could see it dripping. It was coming from what was, I believe, the plastic housing of the temperature sensor. It's located on the front of the engine to the right of midline (looking from front to back). It was easily replaced under warranty. I just looked for the paperwork but couldn't find it nor the part number. Might not be *your* problem, but probably worth taking a look at.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a similar issue with my 08. I couldn't find and evidence of a leak anywhere but I would smell it and on cold mornings I would see occasional puffs of steam(?) when at a light or stop sign. Never could find it.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:35 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MD GP
Hello, I had a similar issue on my 2012 for almost a whole year. I never saw any dripping, but I slowly lost fluid. Finally, I parked it one day after a long climb and then came back while it was still hot. I could see it dripping. It was coming from what was, I believe, the plastic housing of the temperature sensor. It's located on the front of the engine to the right of midline (looking from front to back). It was easily replaced under warranty. I just looked for the paperwork but couldn't find it nor the part number. Might not be *your* problem, but probably worth taking a look at.
T-stat???

Quick Reply: I smell antifreeze!!