Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I smell antifreeze!!

Old 05-08-2015, 10:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sea bass
T-stat???
Yes you're correct. I'm old enough to remember when no such part on an engine would be made of plastic ;-)
Old 05-09-2015, 04:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MD GP
Yes you're correct. I'm old enough to remember when no such part on an engine would be made of plastic ;-)
Yeah, I'm a little surprised they're plastic as well. I'll give mine a look to see if it's leaking. Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-10-2015, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure if it's antifreeze I smell but my 2015 JK has a very strong "hot engine" smell. Dealership pressure tested cooling system and didn't find anything wrong. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 05-10-2015, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have been smelling this too on my 2014 JKUR. Have been for a good 10 months. No puddles and no leaks that I can see. Coolant level fine too.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sea bass
Yeah, I'm a little surprised they're plastic as well. I'll give mine a look to see if it's leaking. Thanks for the tip!
No problem. I hope you get yours resolved as easily as I did. What still scares me a little is that I did a trip on the Lassen-Applegate trail before I knew it was leaking. It was 107 F when we pulled into camp the first night. When I got home I noticed that the coolant reservoir was nearly empty!
Old 06-17-2015, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

2013 JKUR. I get this a lot... Engine runs at normal temp, No puddle, no drip, no change in coolant level... But I know coolant smell... And it's very prominent..
Old 06-17-2015, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TMPEARSON
2013 JKUR. I get this a lot... Engine runs at normal temp, No puddle, no drip, no change in coolant level... But I know coolant smell... And it's very prominent..
exact same issue i have.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I know this is kind of odd but I had the same problem. Just a smell. I had a mechanic friend suggest replacing the radiator cap. I figured why not a few dollars. I did and I haven't had the smell since......for what it's worth.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:46 AM
JK Newbie

I know this is an old post however I had that smell for a while before I decided something wasn't right.

The temps were always ok nothing too hot but I would notice the reservoir was getting low. I put some UV dye (Interdynamics 375CS Radiator/Coolant Dye) into the coolant and ran the vehicle for a few miles at night. When I took out the UV light initially I did not see anything. I got underneath the car and noticed that there was a UV dye being splattered ever so slightly behind the intake manifold on the passenger side. It was very difficult to see and I would have definitely never found this without the dye. When we removed the intake manifold to fix the leak it was apparent this was leaking for a while as there was built up dried coolant residue all over everything. While everything was opened up we replaced the plugs, wires, PCV valve, and fuel injector O-rings to replace the other ones when we popped them out.

No coolant smell after this was all taken care of.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:02 AM
JK Newbie

Default Radiator #4

I Have a 2016 Wrangler sport unlimited that I bought brand new it now has 62,000 miles I am on my fourth radiator which is being installed this week. kept smelling antifreeze. They keep replacing the radiator but the problem still exists they have also changed to a different style of radiator this didn't help has anyone else had similar problems. They are also changing the front axle seal on the driver side that's leaking also.
Does does anyone know what the problem would be with the radiator?

Quick Reply: I smell antifreeze!!