Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

I smell antifreeze!!

Old 04-12-2019, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picture from underneath

Originally Posted by resharp001
So, if I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like it is leaking within the engine bay (definitely not interior), and the leak is towards the rear of the bay if you're saying you're seeing signs of it coming down the transmission pan?? I can't recall on mine or not, but can you get a good look at the lines running through the firewall towards the heater core?

Rednroll mentioned getting a pressure test. You can also pick up a pressure test kit as part of Autozone (or other auto store) tool lending programs. That way you could pressurize the system yourself and then crawl under it to see if you notice anything. Usually our leaks are pinhole leaks at the radiator, but it sounds like you have something a bit more extreme going on. I'd think pressurizing the system would help, and also give you an indication how bad a leak you might be looking for depending on how quickly the pressure drops.
i attached pictures of what I’m seeing. I plan on doing some more investigations today and going to try and get it pressure tested. Thanks for the reply
Old 04-12-2019, 10:50 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Yikes, that does indeed look like a bit of a leak! Is that coolant green, or is that maybe just the appearance in the picture? Your OAT coolant should be orange (does have a purplish tint if you had it in a clear bottle and held up to the light). I have the 3.6L as well. I'll try to crawl under mine and look up in the same area tonight. It's hard going from general memory to think about where that could be leaking from while staring at a screen.

@Rednroll ....these pics help you pinpoint a culprit? Seems like I recall pictures of your engine torn apart for lower gasket. I know that's the 3.8L vs. this 3.6L, but that looks like a big leak coming down the back of the engine.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

Yikes, that does indeed look like a bit of a leak! Is that coolant green, or is that maybe just the appearance in the picture? Your OAT coolant should be orange (does have a purplish tint if you had it in a clear bottle and held up to the light). I have the 3.6L as well. I'll try to crawl under mine and look up in the same area tonight. It's hard going from general memory to think about where that could be leaking from while staring at a screen.

@Rednroll ....these pics help you pinpoint a culprit? Seems like I recall pictures of your engine torn apart for lower gasket. I know that's the 3.8L vs. this 3.6L, but that looks like a big leak coming down the back of the engine.
i changed my water pump about 3 weeks ago and yeah it’s green coolant. I’m adding it as fast as it can take it. It’s getting worse.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:29 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Is that just what you started adding, or has the entire system been flushed and filled with that? I only ask as our JK coolants, both HOAT on the early models, and OAT on the '13+, are very temperamental in being mixed with other types of coolant. Not to cause any new alarm bells, just hard to decipher what the current situation you have on your hands is since we're picking up on an old thread and moving forward. Obviously, color or type of coolant is not related to the fact you are hemorrhaging coolant, just noticed that color immediately.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:31 AM
JK Newbie

Is that just what you started adding, or has the entire system been flushed and filled with that? I only ask as our JK coolants, both HOAT on the early models, and OAT on the '13+, are very temperamental in being mixed with other types of coolant. Not to cause any new alarm bells, just hard to decipher what the current situation you have on your hands is since we're picking up on an old thread and moving forward. Obviously, color or type of coolant is not related to the fact you are hemorrhaging coolant, just noticed that color immediately.
entire system was flushed and filled when I changed my water pump.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:57 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Only updating this picture as you're noting the residue on the tranny pan and further back. Leak has to be up and/or to the left in this pic as you have a lot of dried coolant here (circled) Everything further back has to be just gravity and wind moving it along.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:38 PM
JK Newbie

Only updating this picture as you're noting the residue on the tranny pan and further back. Leak has to be up and/or to the left in this pic as you have a lot of dried coolant here (circled) Everything further back has to be just gravity and wind moving it along.

thanks yeah I figured it was up in there somewhere but it’s almost impossible to see anything. Looking for a pressure tester and a shop going to check with some friends and see what I can figure out. Any ideas as to what would be leaking from that area? Thanks again
Old 04-12-2019, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

When I was looking at the pics, that was my initial reaction of it being the lower intake manifold gasket leaking but then I saw she has a 2013 with the 3.6L. I suppose the 3.6L has a LIM which could leak but so far I haven't seen anyone ever run into that problem on the 3.6L. Possibly the upper intake manifold gasket rings are leaking.

My LIM was leaking at the front of the engine, where coolant was running down the sides of the oil pan and spraying backwards onto the trans. No reason why a LIM leak couldn't happen closer to the rear of the engine and blow back onto the trans further but based on not ever seeing anyone report replacing a LIM on a 3.6L I have my doubts that is the problem.

However, being somewhat unfamiliar with the 3.6L I just watched the intake removal video below and what I noticed is that Oil Cooler housing is located under the Upper Intake Manifold and that thing has been a pretty common failure item of it cracking on the 3.6L where I believe coolant and oil runs through that thing. It would be good to check the oil level to see if it's low and put some of that leaking coolant between your fingers to try and determine if there's any oil mixed in it, as well as check the radiator to see if there's any oil floating in it. Aside from that, I would guess the hoses connecting to the heater core since it seems to be coming from the back of the engine and would be a much more friendly diagnosis.

My suspicions:
1. Cracked Oil cooler housing
2. An Upper intake manifold gasket leaking
3. Heater core hoses
4. Then prey it's not a cracked block.

Starting around 20:42 shows where they pull off the upper manifold with the oil cooler housing residing under it.

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-12-2019 at 04:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Nonblonde1983 (04-23-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

This video shows the area where a cracked oil cooler leak typically drips down at.....which looks very similar to Nonblonde1983's leak.
The following users liked this post:
Nonblonde1983 (04-23-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 05:35 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I have been working in the yard the entire evening. Just saw the notification and reminded me to look at mine. First thing I noticed IMMEDIATELY when laying under it, is that is directly below where the heater core hoses pass through the firewall, and there are pressure clamps there. Here is a pic of where I'm talking about from up top -

Since these are easy to observe, I think I would focus on them first and at least eliminate them as a culprit or not. If they are not the source of the leak, that will be disheartening, cuz for coolant to leak out the backside of the engine, I would have to think we're getting down in to the engine and it being a gasket or something. I mean, coolant is entering the block, circulating, and exiting back out the front. There's not much going on around the back side. Even those heater core lines are going from the front, up over the engine, and through the fire wall. Maybe having someone rev the engine a bit could help accellerate the coolant through the system as you already note this doesn't seem to do much at idle.

I would note these reside under the cover, so if you have the cover on I could see how a leak there might not be immediately apparent if just looking in the engine bay.

Quick Reply: I smell antifreeze!!