Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Incurable Death Wobble - FML

Old 05-03-2018, 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tazydoo
I've recently lifted my 2012 JKU up 3.5" and put 315/75r17 Cooper ATP'S on it. At first I had crazy DW so I checked a the drag link and tierod ends. They seemed to be ok but went on and replaced them anyway with the Teraflex HD kit and ordered a new steering stabilizer also. Installed the parts and the DW went away. Also double checked all my bolts prior and they were all tight. I had dropped my tire pressure down to 26psi from 35 which is what they had in them when they mounted them. I had been running them at 30psi until this past Sundayi went down to 28 to try and get a better ride. Haven't had DW for almost 5 months until Monday morning going to work. I go the same way every day. I'm almost certain it has something to do with tire pressure. I'm going to air them up to 35 in the morning and see what happens. I'll post the results if I can remember.
Update on the tire pressure. Went up to 35psi and didn't have any more issues. I'd have to say the search for a little better ride created a worse one.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when my jeep has DW it turned out to be the tires, even after I had them balanced twice. Once I replaced the old KMTs with new Coopers the problem went away. Maybe something else to check
Old 05-20-2018, 08:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Recently went through an extensive witch hunt for DW. Along the troubleshooting path, all components were already new or newer, tight and wheels/tires checked for true and balanced; none were grossly out and even tried rotating for changes. Steering stabilizer masked it well, but of course, that doesn't solve the actual problem. Early in the troubleshooting though I noted a wheel hub bearing with the most finite amount of play (rock wheel top/bottom) and while noting it deserved watching and would eventually need to be replaced, I discounted it as enough to cause DW.

Fast fwd, out of lack for any other reason for the DW and deciding to replace it sooner than later, went ahead and did so and surprisingly cured the DW in the process. It was a barely noticeable amount of play and I never would have pegged it until now.

Just another thought.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:23 AM
JK Newbie

Swapped passenger tires front & rear. Wobble disappeared up front. Going to have the tire balanced today.
on a positive note, this was a great catalyst to do the front end work I’d been putting off.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah, I just unloaded my '07 JKU. Went through 4 Steering stabilizers in maybe 60000 miles. Tires were a culprit, but was going to happen anyway.

Funny that absolutely nobody at Jeep has ever heard of this issue....hmmmm?

Old 08-23-2020, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

Default Fixed

Got it fixed. Thanks for all the info. Pointed me in the right direction and learned quite a lot along the way.

Quick Reply: Incurable Death Wobble - FML