Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

The infamous Front end clunk, Sway bar bushing!

Old 05-01-2014, 02:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default The infamous Front end clunk, Sway bar bushing!

My front end clunk was a wore sway bar bushing that mounts it to the chasis. after 2+ years of chasing this effing clunk its finally cured!
Old 05-01-2014, 03:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard the clunk. All my lift components are tight. Must be the sway bar. Thanks for the post!
Old 05-01-2014, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack
My front end clunk was a wore sway bar bushing that mounts it to the chasis. after 2+ years of chasing this effing clunk its finally cured!
Been chasing that clunk for months... time to replace the sway bar bushings

thanks!
Old 05-01-2014, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine have been gone forever now , how much were the parts ? Did u have to go to Chrysler to get em ?
Old 05-02-2014, 01:14 AM
JK Junkie

As far as I know the bushings are a dealer part unless you go urethane. Im still contemplating that as they last much longer than rubber. Only thing holding me back is the urethane squeak. But I still might do it. But at 125k, my 11 was feeling a little tired. I had a heat sheild let go, my tailgate was rattling, my brakes were shot, and had the persistant front end knock. After doing this round of freshing up, My tired jeep feels brand new again. I could not be happier. I used all napa ultra premium brakes and rotors. total bill for all this work at a local garage that I supplied the steel building for, 976 bucks. Not bad as far as im concerned. thats parts and labour. He even stayed late for me to get my rig back so my wife and I can get the hell outta dodge for the weekend.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was the clunk when you turned the wheel? Also stock bar just to clarify? I have a clunk too..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2014, 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ajkaz
Was the clunk when you turned the wheel? Also stock bar just to clarify? I have a clunk too..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My clunk was. Had it almost every time I drove, turning, driving on uneven road and pavement at lower speeds, even backing up my driveway. New Sway bar links put in and problem solved.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:39 AM
JK Junkie

My first clunk was the intermediate shaft, When you turn the steering wheel you would get a clunk. My latest one that eluded me for so long was just a loose rattle feeling when you went over studder bumps etc. I replaced a bunch of stuff that never fixed it. We had it up on the ramp last week and we figured the sway bar bushing. NOT THE LINK. It was the rubber bushing that keeps the bar on the frame, not the axle. My jeep feels new again.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a clunk in the rear, only when it rains. (strange I know) I'll check my rear bushings.
Been chasing this for 2 years as well. I can only imagine how happy you must be!!
Old 05-06-2014, 02:36 PM
JK Junkie

Totally. Ask my wife. She has listend to me bitch about this for the entire time. ha ha. she is estatic! But in all seriousness, its like driving a new vehicle. I have 125k on my rig now and this was like it since about 30k.

Quick Reply: The infamous Front end clunk, Sway bar bushing!