Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

The infamous Front end clunk, Sway bar bushing!

Old 05-10-2014, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack
My first clunk was the intermediate shaft, When you turn the steering wheel you would get a clunk. My latest one that eluded me for so long was just a loose rattle feeling when you went over studder bumps etc. I replaced a bunch of stuff that never fixed it. We had it up on the ramp last week and we figured the sway bar bushing. NOT THE LINK. It was the rubber bushing that keeps the bar on the frame, not the axle. My jeep feels new again.
Did you replace your upper or lower intermediate shaft? Also was your steering a little sloppy due to the intermediate shaft as well?

I've had a clunk with some slop and its making me go crazy. I've replaced the ball joints, tie rod and today I put in a new draglink.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

My clunk culprit seems to be the front left sway bar link. Went to tighten and it just spun. Unless I hear otherwise from you fine folks, I think I'll loosen, put a few washers on and button it back up until I get new links.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:24 PM
JK Newbie

The easiest fix for the clunk in the steering shaft is to put a grease fitting in it. I drilled a hole and tapped it. Threw in a fitting and no more problems. A new shaft will end up with the same issues so save yourself some money and get a fitting.

Quick Reply: The infamous Front end clunk, Sway bar bushing!