Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Intermediate steering shaft redesigned

Old 06-09-2017, 12:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 9k miles knock knock...who's there??

Fairly new to forum as a poster (been doing plenty of reading though, so thanks for everyone contributing to this!). I have a 2016 JKU (lifted teraflex 4" / Falcon Shocks / 17" rim on 35 tires) I do have the annoying steering clunk. Leaving in New Orleans where the streets are somewhat alike what I can only assume was Beirut in the midst of their civil war.....; I HAVE to find a way to quiet this clunk down as it's driving me !

have brought the car to the dealer as it is still under warranty. Here is the most absurd thing I have ever read on the report from the dealer.

"knocking sound comes from the tow ring on the aftermarket bumper. Cannot fix"

Seriously?? mechanically I don't think the D-Ring can generate enough of a rattle to resonate through the steering wheel for once right?

1) Is there any other thing i should be looking at?
2) How do I "force" the dealer to replace this intermediate Steering Shaft? if they continue to give me shit about the D-Ring?

Thanks
Old 06-09-2017, 01:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockroaster
All easy to fix with 2 hose clamps and 8" springs. Less than $5 and it's gone.

On Throttle We Stand
please do explain further :-) pics perhaps? thanks
Old 06-09-2017, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I bought the shaft and installed it this past weekend. Getting the new shaft is phenomenal. It's back to bone stock after having a clunk and trying to grease the splines. You simply cannot grease the ujoints and that's where you'll get your play.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by samP
Fairly new to forum as a poster (been doing plenty of reading though, so thanks for everyone contributing to this!). I have a 2016 JKU (lifted teraflex 4" / Falcon Shocks / 17" rim on 35 tires) I do have the annoying steering clunk. Leaving in New Orleans where the streets are somewhat alike what I can only assume was Beirut in the midst of their civil war.....; I HAVE to find a way to quiet this clunk down as it's driving me !

have brought the car to the dealer as it is still under warranty. Here is the most absurd thing I have ever read on the report from the dealer.

"knocking sound comes from the tow ring on the aftermarket bumper. Cannot fix"

Seriously?? mechanically I don't think the D-Ring can generate enough of a rattle to resonate through the steering wheel for once right?

1) Is there any other thing i should be looking at?
2) How do I "force" the dealer to replace this intermediate Steering Shaft? if they continue to give me shit about the D-Ring?

Thanks
Having made my living in the auto service industry for most of my life, this is the kind of stuff from dealers' service depts that drives me up the wall. What you can do is remove the "D" ring and demonstrate the intermediate shaft knock to the dealer's service advisor or tech on a test drive. This issue has been around for ten years and "Chizzler" seems unable to fix it. Fiat's skinflint influence on Jeep warranty becomes more apparent daily.

The old home remedy repair that worked on my '09 is to open up one of the clamps on the boot that covers the splines on the intermediate shaft and slide it off. Using a flat surface zerk grease gun fitting slid under the boot where the clamp was, squirt a healthy dose of grease into the boot. Put the clamp back on, then squeeze the boot a bit and work the greaase into the splines. The knock wil go away after a few days at the most. I did this 8 years ago on mine and it's still silent.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Quicksilver Engine Coupler Spline Grease back in 2010 on my 2009 JK. I pumped the steering shaft boot full using a needle adapter on my grease gun slid under the boot's top clamp (so I didn't have to remove the clamp or poke a hole). Squeezed the grease around in the boot and within a few days the clunk was gone and never came back.

Quick Reply: Intermediate steering shaft redesigned