Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Intermittent Stock Radio 130

Old 06-23-2019, 04:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intermittent Stock Radio 130

Hey!

So I am a new JKU owner. Less than 24 hours with a 2012 JKU Sahara Hard Top. I can’t stop grinning

So as a part of the sale from the dealership, I drove it off the lot knowing that the radio had some issues (due to a trade in i had that had issues). I’ve looked onto some of the JK forums, and I have a couple ideas. I have the Radio 130 with the infinity system and the sub in the back. Basically, the FM/AM radio doesn’t work at all, not even static and when I turn the volume knob, the volume bar doesn’t show up on the screen. When using the Aux In or Sirius, I can hear the audio, but it plays for about 4 seconds, then turns off for 2 seconds. It’s not random, its the same interval every single time. And when the audio cuts out, I can’t adjust the volume...when I turn the volume knob up and down, the volume bar freezes when the audio cuts out, Same thing happens when using voice control or using my phone: audio cuts in and out at almost perfect intervals.

I have checked all connections on the back of the head unit, the connections to all 4 doors, and the tailgate/washer connection. All secure, and no corrosion. Is there anything else I should look at? I plan on getting a new aftermarket HU anyway, but I wanted to make sure this is actually a stock HU issue, and not something else like a short or grounding issue, Infinity speakers/amps, etc. Any ideas you guys have would be amazing. Thank you so much, looking forward to Jeep life!!
The following users liked this post:
LEAHTURNER (11-09-2021)
Old 06-24-2019, 04:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue as you on my 130 (non Alpine) system in my 2011. I didn't troubleshoot it as I also was going to replace it. I Installed a Pioneer 4400 and all is good now.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mpd2434
I had the same issue as you on my 130 (non Alpine) system in my 2011. I didn't troubleshoot it as I also was going to replace it. I Installed a Pioneer 4400 and all is good now.
Ok, great. I’ve trouble shot a bit, but it really does look like a head unit issue. So I’ll go for it and get a new one. Thanks!
Old 06-28-2019, 04:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Yeah those radios are shit. I had two of the 730 units replaced in my 13 jku under warranty and the third one promptly failed 4 months after warranty. Since u have the sub and amp you will really reap the benefits of an aftermarket HU. And since u have already had it apart and know what you doing consider spending the money to get new speakers. Once you put the new head unit in the stock speakers will be farty. I got four kicker 300 watt 6.5s on sale and a box of poly fill from crutch field. I put 14oz of poly in the sub box behind the sub and 12oz in each side of the roll bar. The front dash pods are smaller and only held 6oz each. The front pods are smaller volume and the fronts sounded weak like they needed more volume. I read a write up on here where someone drilled a 2 inch port of the backs of the front speaker pods and used resin the install 2in pvc pipe connector in the back of the front speaker pods to create an air port. Worked famously. It sounds awesome. Like a 400 watt stereo should sound. If you drive with the top off a lot look on here for write ups on the sound being reduced with the hardtop off. There is a way to jump the ground using a regular old 5amp fuse to make the connection between the ground and power wire on the hard top connector in the back. The amps in the 12s and 13s was start up to reduce power to the speakers with the top off. Don't know if that is ur case though if you notice a decrease in power with the top off, that's the fix.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is definitely your head unit or the amp. They have a lot of problems, just go and buy a new after market one. Will sound way better..
Old 08-11-2019, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

Default Stock Radio replaced twice

I have a stock, single disc, no factory amp or sub. 2013 jk sport. I've read every post on this topic and there is no answer. My stock head unit display works. Volume button does not work and there is no sound. Before the unit went completely quiet, the sound would go on/off every 2-3 seconds. My brother had his stock head unit from his 2013 jk so I installed it. Everything worked for less than a week then went quiet. Randomly, the unit will produce sound, 1 out of 20 times i drive it. I am afraid to install an aftermarket unit and have the same issue. I thought it was a stock amp going out initially. But my jeep came with the simple stock cd unit. I do have an aftermarket amp and subs wired off the front speaker wires. Any ideas why 2 stock radios would have the same issues. The second unit fixed the problem and made it through an 8 hr road trip. Day 2 of vacation no sound...
Old 08-11-2019, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Pretty common FCA problem
Old 08-11-2019, 04:18 PM
JK Newbie

I've just never seen an accurate cause or solution for the issue.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 1badta
I have a stock, single disc, no factory amp or sub. 2013 jk sport. I've read every post on this topic and there is no answer. My stock head unit display works. Volume button does not work and there is no sound. Before the unit went completely quiet, the sound would go on/off every 2-3 seconds. My brother had his stock head unit from his 2013 jk so I installed it. Everything worked for less than a week then went quiet. Randomly, the unit will produce sound, 1 out of 20 times i drive it. I am afraid to install an aftermarket unit and have the same issue. I thought it was a stock amp going out initially. But my jeep came with the simple stock cd unit. I do have an aftermarket amp and subs wired off the front speaker wires. Any ideas why 2 stock radios would have the same issues. The second unit fixed the problem and made it through an 8 hr road trip. Day 2 of vacation no sound...
Like someone said above, what worried me is that I couldn't find a cause for this to happen anywhere online. However, I went for it and installed a Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX. After I installed it and soldered the wires, I turned the key to turn on it on, and there have been no issues whatsoever. No volume losses, no cracks or cutouts, its been perfect since I bought it, about a month ago. So for what its worth, it seems like my problem (which seems close to yours) was definitely a problem with the HU, and a new aftermarket radio worked perfectly. Now I did end up getting the iDatalink Maestro to retain the factory amp and a couple other factory things, so I'm not sure if that played a part or not. Hope that helps!

Quick Reply: Intermittent Stock Radio 130