Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Internal Pics of Electronic Sway Bar Disconnect Anyone?

Old 12-15-2017, 09:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internal Pics of Electronic Sway Bar Disconnect Anyone?

Hello. The reason I am so interested in the pics of the electronic disconnect is because of what happened with my 2014 JKU. Was installing a lift today and noticed the passenger side of the sway bar had almost completely pulled out of the electronic disconnect housing. It had moved to the passenger side close to 2 inches. So I was driving around with my sway bar permanently disconnected. There was no indication of anything wrong on the dash, no flashing lights. It moved over far enough to ruin the sway bar link on that side, and rub on the tire in a left turn. Got it pushed back in, but I still need to pull it apart to find out what broke to allow that bar to move. I'm assuming a set screw or a snap ring? Anybody heard of this?

Thanks for your time, Dave
Old 12-15-2017, 09:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eastforku
Hello. The reason I am so interested in the pics of the electronic disconnect is because of what happened with my 2014 JKU. Was installing a lift today and noticed the passenger side of the sway bar had almost completely pulled out of the electronic disconnect housing. It had moved to the passenger side close to 2 inches. So I was driving around with my sway bar permanently disconnected. There was no indication of anything wrong on the dash, no flashing lights. It moved over far enough to ruin the sway bar link on that side, and rub on the tire in a left turn. Got it pushed back in, but I still need to pull it apart to find out what broke to allow that bar to move. I'm assuming a set screw or a snap ring? Anybody heard of this?

Thanks for your time, Dave
I've taken mine apart a few times. I dont have any pics though. I dont remember there being a ton of room for the housing to move along the sway bars. there are gears basically on the ends of the two sway bar halves, with a collar that slides between the two gears locking them together. are you sure the sway bar didnt just move in the frame mounted bushings to one side?
Old 12-16-2017, 02:36 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Ronjenx has pictures but they appear to be down with photobucket's new policy.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...-study-153545/

Is your axle centered under the jeep?
Old 12-16-2017, 10:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by spinuck
I've taken mine apart a few times. I dont have any pics though. I dont remember there being a ton of room for the housing to move along the sway bars. there are gears basically on the ends of the two sway bar halves, with a collar that slides between the two gears locking them together. are you sure the sway bar didnt just move in the frame mounted bushings to one side?

Yes, that is what happened. The housing didn't move, the sway bar end moved. Enough to almost come completely out of the housing. I will measure the axle. Where is the best place to measure it?
Old 12-16-2017, 01:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Yes, that is what happened. The housing didn't move, the sway bar end moved. Enough to almost come completely out of the housing. I will measure the axle. Where is the best place to measure it?
wonder if the gear piece attached to the sway bar inside the motor broke off letting the bar slide out? It's not difficult to remove and open up.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Ronjenx has pictures but they appear to be down with photobucket's new policy.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...-study-153545/

Is your axle centered under the jeep?

I just went out and did a quick measurement. It's about an inch to the driver's side. Like a said, I just installed a Terraflex 2.5 on it yesterday. That's when I noticed the sway bar end on the passenger side had pulled out of the housing. Before the lift, I had a Terraflex leveling kit on it. I'm guessing the difference between the leveling kit and the lift kit is probably only at most an inch. Maybe half an inch. Could that have caused it? I think it's been that way for a while, as the handling has been horrible for a while.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:59 PM
JK Newbie

wonder if the gear piece attached to the sway bar inside the motor broke off letting the bar slide out? It's not difficult to remove and open up.

Yah I definitely need to pull it apart. Just hoping someone knew the part I would need to replace before I removed it. I don't think it's the gear piece though. I'm assuming the gear slides to the drivers side when disconnected? I might be wrong, just guessing by the look of it.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:10 PM
JK Newbie

In taking yours apart, you didn't see anything that prevented the individual bars from moving out? Like a snap ring or set screw? I was able to wiggle mine back and forth, find the sweet spot, and push it back into the housing.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:15 PM
JK Super Freak

In taking yours apart, you didn't see anything that prevented the individual bars from moving out? Like a snap ring or set screw? I was able to wiggle mine back and forth, find the sweet spot, and push it back into the housing.
Dont remember seeing any clips or anything. I think the gear keeps it from coming out.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

The "gear" on the end of each shaft prevents the shafts from sliding out. The gears don't move. A sleeve, with internal teeth to match those on the gears, slides from being completely on one gear, to being on both gears, thus locking them together.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2753.JPG
Views:	510
Size:	446.7 KB
ID:	676537  

Last edited by ronjenx; 12-16-2017 at 02:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Internal Pics of Electronic Sway Bar Disconnect Anyone?