Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jeep 3.8 strange sound

Old 03-07-2018, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep 3.8 strange sound

I googled and searched a whole bunch but want other opinions. 3.8L Auto. 64k Miles.

Under accleration (mostly up hill when there’s more load) I have a bad rattle type sound. Almost sounds like something lose somewhere in the exhaust. I put clamps over the exhaust crossover so its not that. And I don’t think it is pinging but I’m not sure what that sounds like. Just sounds too metal ish.

It has gotten worse over the last year I’d say for sure. Barely did it last spring. Temps don’t seem to make anything worse. Maybe some. Jeep doesn’t burn any more oil than before. No loss of power.
And no engine codes
Thoughts?

Last edited by silverbullet88; 03-07-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:33 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

If it has a tinny sound, it could be a heat shield. There's a few of them under the JK.

It could also be detonation, in which case you need to address it before it causes serious problems.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
If it has a tinny sound, it could be a heat shield. There's a few of them under the JK.

It could also be detonation, in which case you need to address it before it causes serious problems.
Hmm I can’t really hear it with the windows up. How loud would detonation be?
Old 03-07-2018, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am going to try higher octane fuel to see if the sound goes away. I have also considered the sound is from the honey comb coming apart in the catalytic converter, although I would think that would throw a code. Thoughts? Maybe I will try to make a video
Old 03-07-2018, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by silverbullet88
I googled and searched a whole bunch but want other opinions. 3.8L Auto. 64k Miles.

Under accleration (mostly up hill when there’s more load) I have a bad rattle type sound. Almost sounds like something lose somewhere in the exhaust. I put clamps over the exhaust crossover so its not that. And I don’t think it is pinging but I’m not sure what that sounds like. Just sounds too metal ish.

It has gotten worse over the last year I’d say for sure. Barely did it last spring. Temps don’t seem to make anything worse. Maybe some. Jeep doesn’t burn any more oil than before. No loss of power.
And no engine codes
Thoughts?
I had a similar sound on mine, it was one of those tiny chincy heat shields on the section of exhaust pipe where both exhaust heads merge. It was a very fine crack on the weld that made the shield chatter per say. Local shop mig welded a bead back on it and problem solved.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seizer
I had a similar sound on mine, it was one of those tiny chincy heat shields on the section of exhaust pipe where both exhaust heads merge. It was a very fine crack on the weld that made the shield chatter per say. Local shop mig welded a bead back on it and problem solved.
Ill have to take a look.

The sound is almost like when you are about to stall a manual trans or start in 3rd instead of 1st. As in Sometimes the rattle has louder “rattles” within the same session of rattle. If that makes sense
Old 03-08-2018, 01:13 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I had a similar sound. Turned out that one of the several welds on the heat shield for the exhaust crossover was broken. It's a difficult weld because of the thin metal, but that's all it took to stop the rattle.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I had a similar sound. Turned out that one of the several welds on the heat shield for the exhaust crossover was broken. It's a difficult weld because of the thin metal, but that's all it took to stop the rattle.
I thought it might be one of those but I put 3 hose type clamps around down there and it didn't make a difference. I used to use 91 octane a lot last year but recently have been getting 87 for the past few months. Well, yesterday I filled up with 91 and added a bottle of lucas oil fuel treatment stuff, which I used to use occasionally as well, and on the drive to work this morning I barely heard the rattle. And it has only been about 18 miles since I filled up so the sound might go away all together. Could have just been a fluke this morning with the rain and temp but I will have to wait and see.

Also, seems the noise is only present once engine is up to operating temp. That could be a sign that its not an exhaust weld.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

From what you describe my '09 JKUR has had the same racket for some time now. Getting worse as time goes on. Found the usual crack on the crossover pipe heat shield and put a clamp on it. No change. Last weekend I resealed the oozing upper oil pan gasket. While the pan was off I checked the timing chain and discovered an alarming amount of slack. I'm now of the opinion the racket is the timing chain clattering. May be your problem.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same sound and my motor was shot. Burnt valve, bad rings, spin rod bearing.

I was also burning a ton of oil.

Quick Reply: Jeep 3.8 strange sound