Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jeep didn't start with key, but did with remote start

Old 09-19-2013, 04:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep didn't start with key, but did with remote start

So I came out from work, use the key fob to unlock doors, inserted key to ignition, key rotates normal, dish lights up normal, radio comes, turn to start....click....click.
Turn the Jeep off, try again, same deal. Hmmm. Just installed new red top Optima battery a month ago.

Key fob has new battery installed 6 months ago.

Get out check battery terminals, nice and tight, turn head lights on nice and bright Hmm...

Then I realized I have remote start, two push's of the button, Jeep fires up. No codes on dash, drove home no issues.

Arrive at home, turn the Jeep off. Turn the key to start, fires right up.

Anyone heard of this? Any theories?

Dirty ignition?

Spray a little contact cleaner in there?

Been using the same key since new in 08.

Very weird.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

Seems to be a really common problem, with the '08-'09 automatics... Something to do with the transmission position sensor(not sure if that's what it is called). But it basically doesn't think it is in park or neutral and then won't let you start it. Just move the shifter around and that should work according to the people who have had the issue in the past.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:57 PM
JK Junkie

If you suspect it is in the transmission sensor of sorts....contact MoTech, they have a fix for this with a replacement module for the side of the transmission. There are a couple places under the hood on the ECU that you can ground out and the jeep will start in any gear.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4

Quick Reply: Jeep didn't start with key, but did with remote start