Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jeep JK OEM Lug nut Failure, 1 week out of warranty

Old 11-09-2012, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jeep JK OEM Lug nut Failure, 1 week out of warranty

Many of you might not know that the chrome lug nuts are a 2 piece unit. A cast lug nut with a chrome plated cover.

I've owned the JK since new and rotated the tires myself every 6 months. The JK has only 15,000 miles on her. Six rotations and one of the lug nut covers separated from the lug nut.

I brought the damaged cover to my local dealership, they basically said they couldn't do anything because I was out of warranty. The service person looked at the cover and saw some marks on the cover and stated that I used the wrong socket to tighten or loosen the lug nut. I told him that I used a 3/4 inch socket to remove and install the lug nuts. He told me that I should use a 19 mm socket (which are pretty much the same size).

Later I called Jeep Customer Support 1-877-426-5337, and basically went over the same information. After 10 minutes talking with their support person, they replied that they can't do anything about out of warranty parts.

I'm disappointed at local dealership and jeep corporation not willing to replace a defective part 1 week out of warranty (Jeep JK purchased new on 11/2/2009).
Old 11-09-2012, 11:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by strat_53711
Many of you might not know that the chrome lug nuts are a 2 piece unit. A cast lug nut with a chrome plated cover.

I've owned the JK since new and rotated the tires myself every 6 months. The JK has only 15,000 miles on her. Six rotations and one of the lug nut covers separated from the lug nut.

I brought the damaged cover to my local dealership, they basically said they couldn't do anything because I was out of warranty. The service person looked at the cover and saw some marks on the cover and stated that I used the wrong socket to tighten or loosen the lug nut. I told him that I used a 3/4 inch socket to remove and install the lug nuts. He told me that I should use a 19 mm socket (which are pretty much the same size).

Later I called Jeep Customer Support 1-877-426-5337, and basically went over the same information. After 10 minutes talking with their support person, they replied that they can't do anything about out of warranty parts.

I'm disappointed at local dealership and jeep corporation not willing to replace a defective part 1 week out of warranty (Jeep JK purchased new on 11/2/2009).
i might try another dealer for the hell of it...

didn't know about the two piece thing, gives me the excuse i've been looking for to replace the factory lugs with black ones when i put on the black wheels i'm about to order.

matthew
Old 11-09-2012, 11:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those lug nuts are crap and the impact guns do a number on those chrome covers.

06036310AA is the part number....cost should be 4 or 5 bucks each.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a lug nut....just replace with something better or buy one nut and move on
Old 11-09-2012, 01:35 PM
JK Newbie

I don't know guys, to complain when a lug nut goes bad on a 3 year old Jeep. give me a break.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:36 PM
JK Newbie

$1.50 at autozone and don't waste any more of your time. You can get better quality gorilla nutz if you don't want cheap two piece.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by hluckoff
I don't know guys, to complain when a lug nut goes bad on a 3 year old Jeep. give me a break.

One 2 boards, verbatim. OP has too much time on his hands to worry about petty stuff. Get on with yer life.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before my jku I had a dodge dakota. Same lug nuts that lose their caps. It's a Chrysler thing.
After my first couple caps fell off on my jku I replaced them with McGard 64010 lug nuts. They aren't cheap but have held up to a lot of wrenching and 2 winters without issues and are still nice and shiny.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

They are 19mm and $25.00 for a set of 20
Old 11-09-2012, 02:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, guess it's time to sell that POS and buy a FJ.

Quick Reply: Jeep JK OEM Lug nut Failure, 1 week out of warranty