Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jeep towing an enclosed trailer safely

Old 06-24-2016, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep towing an enclosed trailer safely

Hey guys. First time poster, I am looking at getting the 16 or 17 Rubicon unlimited. My reasons are for the looks, versatility and duh it’s a wrangler, Also +the tow rating of 3500#. From reading here and other places it seems like the current Rubicon unlimited already have a tranny cooler also. My question is with regard to towing. For my job I move every 3.5 to 4 months. Traveling consists of myself, my dog (A big bulldog), my clothes, toiletries, food and kitchen stuff and some accessories like vacuum, TV, golf bag and hopefully my kayak. Basically I’m moving all my apt minus any furniture. My first thought was to rent a small U-Haul and car trailer, but after seeing prices it’s out of the question. Then I thought about renting a U-Haul trailer but if I do this 4 times it could be the price of a trailer.

So my question is what should I do to make the Jeep and trailer the safest possible for travels?

I haven’t exactly decided on a brand per say, but I’m leaning towards the big name ones like: Wells Cargo, Haulmark, Pace, United, Look and US cargo. I would prefer a V nose for aerodynamics. I am thinking about 5x8 -6x12 MAX for around 5k, bc I would like to bring my 13ft kayak. I think electric brakes, weight distribution hitch and anti-sway bar are must haves. Other options I would like are 5200# torsion axles??Maybe?, 15 in Radial Tries with spare rear stabilizer jacks, 16 in OC walls and roof, roof vents, side vents, at least .03 aluminum walls. Ladder rack as possible storage for kayak, Side door with screen door. Dome Light, Window and Led Lights. If there’s left over budget maybe insulate the walls and ceiling for possible camping at a later date.

So back to how can I make the Jeep and trailer safe? Is single or tandem axle better? Its not like I’m hauling crazy lbs but more in the case of a blowout as to not flip the jeep.

With regards to the axle I hear torsion is better because of maintenance but how will it hold up if I take it to a camp site versus leaf spring?

Is there anything I’m missing or additional advice for me before I set out in November/December It would be appreciated! Sorry for the long post but I’m new to towing stuff

Thanks
Old 06-24-2016, 10:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm one of the few who have towed a 5000 pound trailer with my 2012 JKU sport. I highly recommend the following:
1. Smittybilt XRC rear bumper (rated for 5000 pounds) I can't say enough about this bumper.
2. Dual axle trailer with brakes.
3. Some type of anti-sway bar
4. Weight distribution hitch
5. Brake controller in jeep (prodigy 2)
6. Air up tires to 45psi while towing.
7. Keep speeds no higher than 65
8. Probably turn OD off with an auto (mine is stick)
9. If not getting a rubi, insist on at least 3.73 gears (avoid 3.21 at all costs)
The following 2 users liked this post by rob_engineer:
HardRock24 (03-11-2020), Kevin Christofora (04-21-2021)
Old 06-25-2016, 12:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you'll have any problem towing a trailer like that behind an unlimited. I pulled a 5x8 trailer behind my TJ frequently. I never had a problem until after the lift and tires because my trailer did not have brakes, so I installed the Vanco kit on my TJ to solve that problem. I occasionally had trouble up long hills on the highway requiring a downshift or two, but you'll have nearly 100hp on my TJ so that shouldn't be any trouble either.

The following users liked this post:
Kevin Christofora (04-21-2021)
Old 06-25-2016, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I pulled a 5*8 V nose enclosed trailer filled to the gills with colorguard gear on my 2dr without any issues. Pulled it many weekends at highway speed and I didn't have the trailer brakes, oversize bumper, weight dist hitch, or anything like that.

So choose your gear ratio carefully and you should be alright. You can add the oversize bumper and weight dist hitch down the road if you feel you need it.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No worries

I pull a 6x10 MTI enclosed trailer with my 2014 JKUR auto and have no issues. It probably weighs over 3000 pounds loaded with my motorcycle, tools, etc. I try to keep it under 75 mph but it will run with the fast pack at 80+ like it's on rails. It has inside paneling and lighting, torsion bars and radial tires. I previously pulled it with my 2008 JKR manual on 35s and the only issues were related to the dismal 3.8 engine, useless OD, multiple downshifts, single digit mileage, etc.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	on the road.jpg
Views:	969
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	650647  
Old 06-25-2016, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

Ok Cool this makes me feel better. As far as the weight in the trailer, you mentioned like 3000 loaded with no problems would only having say 1000-1500# make towing more, less or no difference?

What about axles? First is should I get them rated at a higher rating than the jeep can pull or would that make the ride worse. Also would torsion axles benefit me with mainly being driven on highway with the occasional camp site?

Also saw review on the Tekonsha P3 and primus IQ which seem good for brake controllers. Seems like they are my best option.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rippennets
Ok Cool this makes me feel better. As far as the weight in the trailer, you mentioned like 3000 loaded with no problems would only having say 1000-1500# make towing more, less or no difference? What about axles? First is should I get them rated at a higher rating than the jeep can pull or would that make the ride worse. Also would torsion axles benefit me with mainly being driven on highway with the occasional camp site? Also saw review on the Tekonsha P3 and primus IQ which seem good for brake controllers. Seems like they are my best option.
If you get axles rated significantly higher than the load you plan to put on them, you're just adding needless weight.

Also, trailer brakes for only 1500 is just a waste of money IMO. Maybe if you trailered every day, but infrequently as you mentioned… That's overkill.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

It's hard to locate brake controllers in the jeep due to limited dash space. Go with one that has a connector. That will let you unplug and stow it when not in use
The following users liked this post:
Kevin Christofora (04-21-2021)
Old 06-26-2016, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Like to add my 2 cents . You might want to add larger transmission cooler depending on how hilly your area is also i have been using load helping are bags in my rear springs when I can't balace my load to help with to much tounge weight on the rear axle. I use tow program on my superchips program helps alot on my 2010 so I'm not dropping out high gear as much
Old 07-07-2016, 10:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And here is my 2 cents. My 08 Unlimited has the trailer towing package, 6-speed and 3.73 gears. Since new I towed a 1100 pound pop-up trailer with no problems. I recently traded up to a 3,000 pound travel trailer. It tows the trailer fine but the 3.8L does struggle with it.

Quick Reply: Jeep towing an enclosed trailer safely